Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas gauge: How far past empty can you go?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Oct 24, 2003.

On an 89 Blazer with good baffles, I was wondering how far past the empty mark I can push it, with out having to get out and push it. I know it's not good to have a small amount of gas in the tank since it helps keep the pump cool, but I was just wondering when the needle is on the last mark on the gauge, how much fuel is left in the tank?

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Never trust any of the GM gas guages, my 78' use to read 3/4's of a tank and be empty, my 87 hit's 1/4 of a tank and is empty, and my 92' fills a 1/4 past full and runs all the way down to E...go figure.

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I definetely agree. Im not sure if the baffles are broke or not but I can fill up 1/4 past full and drive to to almost E I guess...Ive never tried to see where empty really is. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have an 85 and I have a few gallons past E. I haven't ran out yet but tested it a few times.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have experience in this issue. I completely drained my tank then filled it up to see exactly how much fuel it would hold even though I know it is a 31 gallon tank, and it does hold exactly 31 gallons if you don't top off. I then drove the blazer until the gas gauge just hit the last mark (empty) there is still 4 gallons of fuel left at that point, and my blazer is also an "89".

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

like yunit said, don't trust. I forget how my K5 is(been so long since I drove it) but my 95 filled up at about 1/4 over and was empty before E.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

put a 5 gallon gascan in the back and drive it till it runs out then you will know how far it goes and not have to push it lol

7. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

Mine hits E and dies, luckily with the 31gal tank, there is always a little hiding, so she starts right back up. One time I drove like 5 miles after it died, most of which was up hill. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I dunno...my gas gauge quit recently. It sticks right around the 3/4 mark. I haven't figured out why yet.

9. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Was there two different sizes of tanks on the late 80's ?
    I havnt hit the E yet, but darn close and I could squeeze 24-26 gallons into it. I have an 88 and have wondered the same thing. Maybe try the extra can of fuel sometime.

10. I thought it wasn't good to run an electric fuel pump dry. I may have to try that though if it won't harm the pump. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Mine die's when it hit e
    and ya cant push it by yourself /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

no its not good on it so as soon as it starts coughing and sputtering stop and add the gas and then get to a gas station /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

i had my 94 sputter some on a hard turn when it was dead on E, never ran it out though. mine has a 330 mile range as far as im concurned, that is my fuel gaugage. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

i was coming back from an axle rebuild and had my k5 sputter and die a few times. always started back up after i came to a stand still. barely made it to a gas station.
    was a little above the E mark. can't trust my own gauge. . . .it also sits above the F mark when it is full. . . go figure

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i can drive around town when my truck is on E for a while..mine goes a ways past E actually..did just replace the tank and sending unit though. i got a 19 gallon in it now..befor when i had dual 16 gallons it would stop right on E..found out the hard way in the school parking lot..had to get a couple of the landscapers to help me push it into a spot..i felt so dumb /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well my baffles must be messed up when I accelerate the needle goes up about 1/8th tank. Opposite with braking. When the needle doesn't move anymore with acceleration changes I know it's pretty low /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I have had it die on shrp corners before when it's real low /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i think its just from the gas slashing around.. mine does the same thing but then reads correct again when the truck sits at a stand still for a couple seconds

18. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I can't even get to "E"

My Blazer is bone dry at 1/4...

The Suburban is bone dry at 1/2.... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Of course they are also MILES past "Full" when I actually do a fillup.

19. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

With the stock gauge, my 87 could drive gor for like 40 miles or so once it hit empty before it would sputter in turns and stuff.

My Autometer gauge seems to be spot on...At a hair below 1/2 tank, I need to put about 18 gallons in it (31 gallon tank)