Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gas gauge is temper mental

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by the fall guy, Mar 9, 2005.

1. the fall guy

the fall guy Registered Member

Hey guys....I was just wondering if you had the same problem with your gas gauge and how to fix it. When I fill my tank the gauge reads 3/4 tank...then 1/2 then3/4 again. It's all over the place. then when I first start it up it reads empty then after a while goes back up. I'm thinking it could be my gauge but could it be my sending unit (floats are out of whack) I know that if it reads full out than the sending unit is done but this one has got me confused:confused: :confused: thanks

2. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

I am having the same problem with my dual tank setup

my left (drivers side) jumps all over the place at times, sometimes it works right, sometimes it's 1/2 off when I know it's full.

my right ( pass. side ) doesn't even work 1% of the time, just pegs itself past full and stays there.

is it a ground wire or are both sending units messed up?

3. poolcues

poolcues 1/2 ton status

IMO it's the ground wire.my old 78 jimmy was doing the same thing.replaced the gorund wire and it was fine after that.

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep the ground wire. If it reads full all the time its usually the sender. I just had to replace mine.

5. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

Hmm.

My gas tank when it is full reads a quarter of a tank and then goes down accordingly. So it will let me know when it is out, you think this could be the same thing? Once or twice it has just gone up like normal but then it always goes back down to a quarter. its weird. anybody have anything like this happen?