Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GAS GAUGE ISSUES

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wally81k5, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

Got some issues with the old gas guage in my 87 k5. It doesn't really go past (lower) than 1/2 tank unless i hit a good bump when the tank is low. When i filled it last week it went to 1/4 past full. Does this mean the float is bent? Or what?

How do i set it again if the float is bent? How can i test if it's the float or is it for sure? Any advice? I need help, this gas guage is important for me!

Thanks in advance. Ryan

2. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

It sounds like the gauge and the sender are mismatched. Did anyone replace either one of them? Check and make sure they are the right kind. Otherwise, you have a bad connection somewhere.

3. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Easiest way to test the gauge and wiring is to take the wire at the tank that goes to the sending unit, unplug it, put a 90 ohm resistor on that wire and ground it. If the gauge reads full then the problem is the sending unit. If it is off then you have a problem in the wiring or the gauge is shot. You can do this all the way up the harness to help locate the problem.

If you really want to check the gauge's accuracy (sp) take two 90 ohm resistors and put them in Parallel, this gives you 45 ohms and the gauge reads 1/2 tank. Zero ohms (straight to ground) is then an empty tank. On open circuit puts the needle about three o'clock.

Another possibility is the plastic (damn I forgot what it's called) thing in the tank may have broke loose and is jamming up you sending unit.

4. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Alec78... When you said 3 o'clock = open circuit, what did you mean by "open Circuit" (read-I don't know jack about circuits /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif).. my guage speeds over to the 3 o'clock pos when I turn on the ignition..I have already bought a 31 gal tank and sending unit (used) to replace my 25 gal with.. I was under the assumption that my sending unit was bad /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

An open circuit is where there is no path for the electricity to flow. Kinda like when you turn any electric switch off, you open the circuit. Some examples would be: a broken or a connector that does not hold the connection (like the firewall pass through.) Feel free to PM me if you have any other question, sorry to say I know I will see them where as I can't guarentee I'll reread a post.

6. 83_chevy_blazer

83_chevy_blazer Registered Member

i just put an autometer sender and gas gauge in my tank. if you drop the tank out then it will be a lot easier to play with the gauge. mine was a bit of a pain because it was maybe 1/3 full. good luck