Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gas gauge not working

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    My gas gauge isn't working, how can I test to see if the sending unit is bad or if its the gauge... or if its the wiring between the sending unit and the gauge? Thanks alot for any help....

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Might want to reach up behind the dash and make sure the harness is plugged in tight. I had the same prob., turned out the harness came loose on one end.

John

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Alright, I'll check that out and make sure everything is good and tight, does anyone know of a quick way to test the sending unit... can I check for voltage somewhere? Thanks alot.

4. 19Jimmy87

19Jimmy87 Registered Member

Follow the wire under the truck. I did this and found my wire fell and was burnt apart by the exhaust pipe. I reattached the wires and it works great now. Also, when I asked a similar question, I was told that the sending unit rarely goes out.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I had this problem also, mine was the 2 nuts that hold the gauge to the panel and circuit board came loose and wasn't getting connection, tightened them up and fixed the problem.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If the gauge is reading way past the full mark all the time, then there's an open circuit somewhere. Check the connector on the back of the cluster, the one at the sending unit and the ground at the tank.

If the gauge is reading empty all the time, there's a short to ground in the wire that goes from the sending unit to the gauge.

If the gauge is reading somewhere in the middle all the time, then either the sending unit is stuck or the gauge itself has died.

GM fuel gauges will read full with 90 ohms of resistance in the circuit and empty at around 0 ohms. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

The gauge reads arround 1/4 tank.

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Disconect the Pink wire from the gas tank and cheek the gauge. Did the gauge move? If it the same Spot it is befor the tank. If it moved then try gounding the wire and check the gauge it should go to the opposit side of the gauge. This would mean the sending unit is bad. Keep us informed on what was wrong.

9. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'll try that when I go home tonight.