Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas gauge problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, May 28, 2000.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I dunno if my fuel gauge is accurate anymore.. I was looking at the wiring yesterday.. apparently somehow one of the halves, where the gauge wires snap together on the frame and run to the dash, broke off.. it was totally taped together.. anyway, I accidentally unplugged it, and the dash gauge went past the full mark... it has acted up a few times recently.. sometimes it's at 3/4 of a tank, the goes to 1/2.. and back to 3/4 (maybe from the gas sloshing around in the tank. roads are a bit bumpy around here). I put $10 (6.6 gallons)of gas in it one time and it was near full for a while.. now it's at 3/4 again... I dunno if it's broken or what... but, since I unplugged it while there was gas in the tank, would it have screwed up it's accuracy? please help.

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

It is normal for the gauge to go past full when you disconnect the sensor wire. That will not hurt it. Did you get a good connection when you hooked the wire back up? It sounds like you have a bad connection.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350