Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas gauge woes

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Z3PR, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Car is a 2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS coupe. Problem started recently, after I fill the tank, the gas gauge will go to empty. If I shut the car off and re-start it, the gas gauge will work for a few momments, then go's back to empty. Only does it with a full tank. Any ideas ??

2. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

GM has a problem with their fuel level sending units. Most of the time though they show 1/4 of a tank when they're actually empty. We've towed in about six cars for this in the last three months. I learned the hard way by removing the fuel tank and finding it empty. Now I pour a few gallons in before I remove anything. How long does it take to show correctly after a fill up?

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Filled it yesterday morning, now it's not going too empty, now it's staying at full. Don't know if I've driven it enough for the gauge too go down some or not, but now it's showing full.

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I don't know how the newer sending units are built. On the older ones, it is set up like a reostat, and the dwire windings that the brass arm slides against would corrode and give you an empty reading till the fuel level changed enough to move the brass arm past the bad spot in the winding. I have seen em where the brass arm did not make good cantact with the windings, had to bend em so they pressed against the windings with more force.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It was the float sending unit. Found a shop that could replace just that, and not the pump. Had them charge the A/C while they had it. So $291.00 later I'm all good. They couldn't find the leak in the A/C so they put a 6 month garrenty on it. :D No when it stops blowing cold, they'll fix it for free !!! :D :D :D :D :D