Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas Gauge?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Sep 4, 2001.

Does anyone else have problems with the stock gas gauge? Mine is unpredictable, I keep running out of gas, this last time it still read a half a tank. I was on the way to the gas station just in case and sure enough!!

Is there a fix for this, with out replacing the tank.

Thanks for any advice on this.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a sending unit....which means lowering the gas tank.......If you would like to try another gas gauge I have one out of an '78?

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

2. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

it sounds like the sending unit. Mine doesn't go above 3/8 a tank and doesn't go below an 1/8. It could be a bent float or something else with the sending unit. They are about 150 from the parts store but about ten bucks for a generic one. I haven't tried it yet because I haven't wanted to drop the tank to swap them out.

Brian
    83 K-5 4" on 33's

3. snomobilechic

snomobilechic Registered Member

At least yours works. One day I went to fill up my tank and it went over to full and has only moved once since then. I am not sure why it moved that day, but it did. I keep track of my milage in a note book. Someday I might fix it, but that is really the least of the problems with my 1986 Jimmy...

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

snomobilechic,

Spund like yours is a short in the line.......

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Generic? You mean from Autozone or someone like that? Mine doesn't go above 1/4 tank when full. I plan to drop my tank when installing my body lift and take a look. First I am going to check my baffle and see if it is hindering my floater. But, if I can get a new "generic" sending unit for $10, why not replace it while I have it down just in case? Where? Details!

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    Who put a stop payment on my reality check?!?

6. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

snowmobilechic yours is a bad ground wire

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

One "test" of the sending unit is to "unground" the sending unit. With no ground, teh gauge should go to full. Without further diagnosis, could be gauge, wiring, or sending unit.

Don't throw money at it until you know what "it" is

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen