Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gas gauge

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mrhoes, Aug 26, 2003.

1. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

i have an 86 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif with a 31 gallon gas tank and a few months
    ago i put a new sending unit in the gas tank and the gauge
    still doesnt work me and my dad ohmed it out before we put it in and it seemed to work fine i have a good ground and when i pull the power wire off it goes all the way full and
    when i put it back on with a full tank it reads 1/4 of a tank has anyone else had this problem???

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It's hard to tell from your post- did you replace the fuel gauge in the dash? It sounds to me like the gauge itself isn't working properly......

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

One thing to check, is behind the gauge where the nuts hold the gauge to the housing. Make sure those nuts are tight....mind were slightly loose causing a faulty reading, searched for weeks before I found it there...hope this helps ya /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I just starting having that problem with my truck. I filled it up today and the guage reads empty. I figure it could be a couple of things.
    1. Faulty guage.
    2. Bad ground
    3. Bad sending unit
    4. No power going to the unit.
    5. What muddytazz said.