Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gas guage wiring

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Mar 15, 2007.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Hey guys, been working with the wiring on my truck, and I have an issue. The fuel guage is now keeled over to about the 3oclock position. From using the search feature I have figured out that that probably means I have cut a wire somewhere, and that the guage is receiving an open circuit.

Where does the wiring for the fuel guage run through the firewall at? Is it at the fusebox, or is it through this other little grommet on the firewall, behind and above the drivers side valve cover? Its 2 wires, runs down to a gray connector, and then on down under the truck.

Help.

2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Not to hi-jack, but yes, help! I have the same issue. It sucks! Need help, have done the search thing too. Nothing easy to pick out. Any help for both of us would be appreciated!

Manny

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I dont' know if this helps but the wire is tan, at least on my new harness it was

4. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I would say follow it from the fuel tank back, that is what I did, I found where it was severed and fixed it.

5. bronc3buster842001

bronc3buster842001 1/2 ton status

the fuel gauge wire should be pink and it runs out the same harness with the taillight wires. hope this helps u out

6. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

Where does the wiring for the fuel guage run through the firewall at? Is it at the fusebox, or is it through this other little grommet on the firewall, behind and above the drivers side valve cover? Its 2 wires, runs down to a gray connector, and then on down under the truck.

Help.[/quote]
    that is the one on my truck. :D

7. bronc3buster842001

the taillights wire run out from the fuse block connector under the hood on the left side

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The fuel gauge wire is pink, and as stated it comes up the driverside with the taillight wires... It then goes into the bulkhead connector in front of the fuse block.. When it comes thru there, it comes out from behind the fuseblock..

In other words, if you remove the 2 3/8th's screws that hold the fuseblock to the backside of that bulkhead connector and pull the 2 halves apart, you'll see the corresponding wire coming thru the connector...

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok, I should preface this that I have a pickup and it has dual tanks, so I dont know if that changes the wiring at all.

Ryoken, you completely lost me, are you saying that it hooks into the fuseblock from the engine side, or that it runs through one of the other grommets that are in that area?

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

no grommets... it goes thru the bulkhead connector where the other 30 or 40 wires go thru..

if you've ever had a bulkhead connector/fuseblock apart, it is two 1/2's... some of the wires coming thru the bulkhead go right into the fuse block, others just come out between the two 1/2's... the gauge wire comes out from between..

thats as best as i can describe it.. as far duals and a pickup, no clue, thats for a K5.. it'll be the same or similar...

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I *thnk* depending on year, the wiring for the gauge senders was switched through the fuel tank switch on the dash, or the fuel switch on the frame.

There was a pretty in-depth post about the fuel tank sender issue on a dual truck awhile back. I know I was part of it, and that guy that got banned...Randy?

12. mogulmasher

mogulmasher Registered Member

I've never heard that if it points to 3 o clock position it is an open circuit. My K20s gauge doesn't work either and its stuck on E. What does that mean? Hopefully just bad ground.....:o

13. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

stuck on E is probably a bad float, so it just sits on the bottom of the tank, if you unplug it and it goes to 3'oclock, then it is probably that.

14. mogulmasher

mogulmasher Registered Member

Its got a brand new tank and sending unit. Been years since I messed with one of these sending units, can it be installed in a way the float gets stuck against the side so it doesn't come up with fuel?

15. bronc3buster842001

heres some factory wiring diagrams for an 85 pickup and blazer hop this helps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]