Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas guage?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by alf4444, Dec 11, 2004.

1. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I just swapped tanks in my 78. The old one looked as if the PO took a sledge hammer to it. Before I swapped tanks the 31 gal. that was in it would only allow me to put approx. 5 gal. in it before the pump would shut off and the gas guage always showed 1/4 a tank. I assumed because of the massive dent it would only hold that and after about 5 gal. of gas my blaze would stop running. But when I pulled the tank it was full and had 20+ gal. in it. The new tank is in and everything works but my guage. I put about 5 gal. in it at first and the guage shot straight to the right and even after filling it it stays there. I bought the tank and sending unit on another board and its a 25 gal. are the guages different between a 25 and a 31 gal. tank?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I am thinking that the ground side of the sending unit isn't ... well, isn't grounded. IIRC, the pegging-full on the gauges occurs when the sender is open ... or maybe if it's shorted.

Anyway, methinks electrical issues are afoot, nothing wrong with the sender or gauge per se.

-- A

3. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Thats kind of what I was thinking, I thought I soldered it on there good but I guess I'll have to run it dry and drop it again and re do it

4. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

No difference in the gauge regaurdless of what tank or car in the GM line.

If the gauge is pegged at the 3 o'clock position it means there is an open between the guage and the ground on the tank / sending unit.

5. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

just run a jumper wire from the sender mounting plate to battery negative, or to a certain known good ground. That will confirm or eliminate ground faults.

6. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

unfortunatly all these solutions require dropping the tank again.