Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas in oil...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Timmer_71, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Timmer_71

Timmer_71 Registered Member

I just recently had to replace my fuel pump, it was leaking gas into my oil. I found this out because I started fouling out plugs then when I checked my oil it was like 2" past the full mark on my dipstick and very thin, almost like water. Anyway I changed the oil and filter along with my fuel pump but I am wondering if maybe there could be some bearing damage or something else? It isn't making any noise or anything but should I try to replace main bearings just in case, what would you guy's do?

2. Ryan

Ryan Registered Member

I would not do anything. I replaced three fuel pumps in my 1983 Chevy /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif(305) because of that same reason. I could change the oil, and smell gas, and instantly knew there was a bad pump. It had over 300,000 miles on it when I sold it. As far as I was concerned, it just cleaned the sludge out of the engine. When I bought the truck, I drained the oil, and put a fair amount of kerosene in the crankcase, and let it idle for 5 minutes just to break up years of crud. I'm sure some would disagree, but it worked for me with no apparent damage. Your milage may vary, but if it doesn't knock, I would leave it.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

apparently some SBC do not oil the fuelpump well enough.
    welcome to the club.
    Carter says to pack the pump cavity with grease
    I have been lucky on 1 and all it did was break the diagram return spring (nice to have bits of metal in the pan)

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ha gas in the oil yeah it can do damage... I just sepnt a couple weeks total working on my truck pulling out the 305 and puting in a 350. After all that my choke was messed up so it was ALWAYS on. Well that meant I flooded it a lot and well I got good bit of gas in the oil. My truck was knocking and squealing badly so I drained the oil and found the gas. New oil now it just squeals. Got a new engine gonna spend some more time doing it all again.

5. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

After having my engine (400) and quadrajet carb rebuilt I had fuel in my oil. It was the two tubes that stick out of the bottom of the carb. This mess is called 'engine wash out' DO NOT run the motor like this. I had to go rounds with the carb guy that rebuilt my carb before he was willing to take it off and look at it again and then found that problem. The trick is to use two part epoxy on those tubes to make sure it won't happen again.