Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gas milage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, Mar 31, 2004.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

what is the best way to get good gas milage on a 1979 GMC Jimmy with a 350 engine 700-r4 tranny NP203 tranfser case and stock axles and tires. What knod of milage should I expect and what could I do to improve the gas milage so i do not have to fill up every week or more espically with the price of gas going up.

2. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i typically put in 10$ a day

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have found the ONLY way to get more than 10-15 mpg out of any fullsize GM 4x4 is to get a diesel powered one--my 82 K20 is the first one I've ever owned that gets 18-22 mpg(its a 6.2 non-turbo)and its geared pretty low too.And the motor isnt exactly in its best state of tune either!I also had a vw diesel jetta that got 43 mpg ,I ended up driving that a lot to save $$$ on fuel,and wear and tear on my 4x4--why drive it if you dont really need it(like going shopping or running to the parts store for more stuff?.)I may start looking for another one,since fuel prices are likely to skyrocket this summer again. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well, if you haven't already, put a part time kit in the t-case and some hubs. Also, keep it tuned up and running well. The biggest thing for me it to keep my foot out of it. Still, I get around 12 mpg in the city and maybe 15 mpg on the hwy if I'm lucky! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I get 8mpg in town and 12 on the highway. The only way to save fuel without spending money is to keep your foot out of it. You would be suprised how big of a difference it can make with a thirsty motor. Other than that thats about it. A 350 is a 350...it's going to use a certain amount of fuel and that is that. You could go with an aftermarket FI system that costs $2K and get 3 to 5 mpg better but it would take a long time for it to pay for itself.

I would tune your motor up, drive like your grandma does, and quit thinking about it because there isn't much more you can do.