Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas Milage

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 16, 2001.

I am seriously thinking about buying a K5 and was wandering just how big is the difference in gas milage between a gasoline 350 and a 6.2 deisel?

1. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

A brand new stock blazer with a 6.2 is supposed to get 23mpg city and 31 hway. The 350 gets around 14 city and about 19 hwy. I am not too sure about the 350 though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I average around 21 MPG year round with my 6.2. This includes all the towing I do, as well as highway and city miles. My 305 gets me about 11-15 depending on how much foot I give her.

Remember to include maintenance costs in the equation. My 6.2 costs more than twice what it costs to maintain my 305. I go through more air filters, fuel filters, oil changes, and fuel additives.

Equally important is the fact that a diesel is often WAY more expensive to repair than a gasser. On the other hand, a diesel will far outlast a gas job if you take care of it.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that fuel mileage is just ONE of the thing to consider if you're trying to choose between diesel and gas.............

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

3. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

4. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

hmm, i would think a DIESEL would get very bad GAS mileage. hehe. sorry for that. i am new to CK5, but have been on ORC for a little wwhile. I am a mechanic in the army and work on a multitude of vehicles, including the HMMWV. I have a little experience with diesels(don't know jack about gassers) and would be glad to try and help any of you guys out. DieselDan if you read this, you have me by 2 paygrades(go to a 6 board Aug 1st). Mind if I don't call you Seargent?

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

That'll work! I hear "sarge" enough for a day...

I was down in El Paso, a couple of summers ago, as part of the Roving Sands fun. I think I spent too much time in the "dust bowl" waitin' for equipment to arrive, then waitin' for it to leave.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

6. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

Ya, I hear it all day long as well. Kinda miss calling people by first names. Roving sands just finished 2 weeks ago. I got to stay back thankfully.

7. Guest66

Guest66 Registered Member

On my 6.2 I get 17-19mpg turning 33x12.5 mud terrains, was getting 21 when i was turning 31x10.5 all terrains but thats all city driving and i have it floored alot, LoL

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

O.K. How about this.

I -may- be gettting a Kodiak/Top kick tow rig. This thing is huge, It runs 38" dualy semi-tires in the back. Looks like a normal 4 dr dualy from the fire-wall back, but has a semi-truck looking front clip. Does that help you picture it?
    It has a small block chev w/a two barrel carb. 4-speed manual trans (the trans is huge too- not normal G.M. stuff). The rear end is some kind of Rockwell thing I asume, looks like is has to have a 15" ring gear.

Now for the question;
    Should I convert it over to a diesel for use as a tow-rig, or stick with the s.m. block. I'd like to get some kind of gas (or oil) milage out of it. I don't really know what I'd do with it or even if I'm going to get it, but just kicking around some ideas.
    Any opnions?

Twiztid

9. Guest66

Guest66 Registered Member

Id say switch to a diesel, they get good mileage, last forever and can tow almost anything

10. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I can't even think gasser in a big truck.Go with diesel!

11. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Hi everyone... I'm new here, and thought I'd chime in here. :-)

I recently took a drive to Indiana from Colorado, and averaged right around 25mpg. Truck mainly went between 65 and 80mph the whole way.

Driving around town I get somewhere around 16-18mpg. I don't do a lot of town driving, though, so that's a best guess.

Dan Oglesby
    1984 K10 Blazer, 6.2L diesel, 700R4

12. MRBIGBLOCK

MRBIGBLOCK 1/2 ton status

diesels use FUEL. gaoline engines use gas.