Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas mileage EYE-OPENER!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Just thought I'd pass on this little story to those of you concerned about getting better gas mileage........

A couple of weeks ago, we all hopped in the Blazer and went for a 2 1/2 hour drive to visit some friends. The trip took us through Banff National Park where the speed limit is 90km/h(60 mph). I usually drive on the highway at 115-120 kph(75 mph) and I was surprised how much farther a tank would last going that much slower. I got 450 km(280 miles) on half a tank instead of almost a full tank.

Because of this, I've started driving slower on a regular basis to see how much money I could save. By driving at 100km/h(63mph) I have almost doubled my mileage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used to get around 500 per tank and now I get almost 800 per tank. All this by going an average of 10 MILES AN HOUR SLOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow, just thought I'd share this with you guys.

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</a>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

WOW almost 300 miles per tankful!!! Thats a big difference.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!![​IMG]

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Actually it's 300 kilometres per tank, which is only about 187 miles, but still..................I'm like WOW!!!!!!![​IMG]

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</a>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Still impressive regardless!

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!![​IMG]

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i just changed my fuel filter and got over 80 miles to a tank better

We are surronded. That simplifies our problem.

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Ahh- metric sys! O.K. I was going to say "Thats something like 10 mpg better!"

Still- 187 miles further with a 30 gallon (?) tank is something like 6 miles per gallon better!

Well I'm going to stick to the slow lane and check it out for myself. Thanks

Twiztid

7. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

In my stock '90 Blazer I found that hanging around 100k-110k I get around 575k-625k. My '88 has a GM crate motor and runs a stage 2 hypertech chip with dual exhaust and an msd ignition and keep her around 120k-140k with 3.73s' and a 700r4 and actually get equal gas mileage.
    Shawnboy.

If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

The metric sys is the tool of the devil!

Twiztid

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Eric...metric is way easier once you realize its all based on tens.

Paul...I used to run at about 125 K every day to work and was getting 13 MPG (Imperial gallon) I was low on gas one day and slowed down to the speed limit and made it to work on a lot less fuel. The next tank i stayed driving slower to see the difference and got over 18.5 MPG...

Air is the enemy! [​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

sapper, nice quote. chesty puller aint it?
    i get better mileage having my buddy tow me round town on his gas...

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Holy crud... I get 310 on a full tank... I'd pee myself to get those results... might be time to change ye ol' fuel filter and tune up things... not to mention slow down... [​IMG]

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

12. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

come on Grant why did you even ask. how are things going on the air side?

We are surronded. That simplifies our problem.

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Sorry dude, forgot my lil' winkie things [​IMG]

For the record, I'm aware that satin's metric sys is based on tens.[​IMG]

Twiztid

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I can pull 350-400 miles on a tank at 75. Lower in CA and AZ, higher in some non gas nazi state.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"<a target="_blank" href=http://www.handguncontrolinc.com>www.handguncontrolinc.com</a>

15. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

This doesn't surprise me much... slower you go the lower the rpm... the less gas you need to give to send that huge skyscrapper through the wind. Some people depending on gearing will see better milage at higher speeds. Back w. my old 3.08's I got alot better milage going 85 then I did 65 or 70..., but the price of a speeding ticket will buy a lot of gas [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Acutally, I get pretty decent gas mileage. Mines stock, but I get somewhere around 13-14 if I drive real slow like (55ish?) but If start pushing it, mileage goes down to around 11. We wont even talk about towing. :)

17. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Maybe I need to slow down because my last road trip on the highway running around 75 to 80mph I was just getting 13mpg in my stock 89 Jimmy.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

18. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I was gonna post this before, but I thought it might not be worthwhile, since the "fill method" is subject to question.

Drove about 80 miles on relatively flat ground, varying between 70 and 60 for most of the trip. (both the legal speed limits) I managed to pull out 18MPG on that trip, over my normal 15 freeway. Only mod I had done since the previous "test" was re-installing the air dam.

My method of fill HAS been to fill it up until the pump automatically shuts off. After this 18, I am going to fill it up until I can see gas, to make sure and eliminate the possibility of mechanical error.

BTW, that mileage is with a stock 350 (afaik, and lots of miles) 750CFM Q-jet (no computer mix) SM465 (no OD obviously) and 33" tires.

VERY enlightening has been the vacuum gauge I've got sitting on the dash for testing. Typically run 15 inches at constant speeds over 35, but any more pedal and I'm down to 7 inches or less. Holding it in gear longer (3000RPM) keeps the vacuum way up, and will increase mileage. BTW, lugging the motor is absolutely horrible for mileage, if you are using the gas pedal at all, you have almost no vacuum. Keep the RPM's up, and the pedal light.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

There was a article in FOURWHEELER on the difference in MPG at 75 mph and at 55 mph, I now drive at 55....well I try [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>Click here to see my K5</a>
    *<font color=red>under construction</font color=red>*

20. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Hey Seventy4Blazer, who are you with? I was just in &amp; out of the airfield a couple times last week in my Super $h!tter, shuttling pax &amp; cargo for 773 Det A from the boat.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>