Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas mileage...picked up an S-10

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by 90blzr, Dec 5, 2003.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Wondering what kind of gas mileage I should get.
    Here is the deal. Picked up a 2wd. 1980 S-10 shortbed with a 4 cyl. and 4spd, body okay, interior descent, needed balljoints and tierods Motor ran like SHEEEEIITT....also picked up a 2wd. 1984 S-10 with a V6 and longbed (both std. cabs) and a 4spd. but the body was BEAT and wrecked to [darn] but ran GREAT and the suspension was good...both of them for $400.

SO....I stripped the 84 of the interior, rear end, front suspension, motor tranny and dash and all wiring. And junked the rest of the truck.

Took the same stuff...4 cyl., tranny, dash etc out of the '80 and junked it.

Then put the 1984 V6, tranny (w/hydro clutch), dash, wiring, front suspesion (a-arms, coils, everything) all into the 1980 S-10 shortbed/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Should be driving it tonight, started on it 2 nights ago.

Just curious what kinda gas mileage I should see out of this bastard. Wish it was 5 spd. Would that help with gas mileage?

Also...anyone know what gears would be in the rearends? 1980 4cyl/4spd and 1984 V6/4spd.??

These early V6's do alright? Probably gonna be my daily for a while/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif since a guy wants to buy a '90 Honday Si that I picked up for $400 cause the PO put 8 quarts of oil in it and couldnt figure out why it would run right /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

My 2.8/700r4 gets about 20 hwy and 16 city. Most shifts are at redline (4500rpm /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif). Mine is fuel injected and has OD so I would guess you would get a bit less if you drove the same as me. From what I have heard 2.8's will last a LONG TIME (have heard of some with 300k on them). However they do like to burn out intake gaskets near the EGR and dump coolant into the oil and quickly destroy the motor. I would sugest a new gasket before you get it all put back together.

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tip/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Damn 16 in town and I will likely get less /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif And yeah, sounds like I drive about the same as you do /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Hey I get twice the mileage with the s10 on the street that I get with the K5 on the hwy! If I really wanted better mileage I'd just slow down some and not have it floored all the time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif And the 20mpg is at about 75-80mph. Only thing I can complain about is the lack of power /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif It should be getting a 383 TPI in it some year to help with that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I was getting 28 highway/25 city in a '88 S10 shortbed 2wd with 2.8 TBI and a 5 spd.

My '85 S15 Jimmy 4x4 used to get 15 mpg highway with the 2.8 carb, 700R4 and 3.40 gears. Then I put in a mild 350 and started getting 18-20 mpg on the highway. Every year the mileage got better as the body rotted off a little more /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

My current '86 S10 longbed 2wd with 2.8 TBI, 5 spd and 4.10 gears was getting 22 highway but it is very tired. It will probably be a good V8 canidate soon.