Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas mileage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scoutillac, Mar 28, 2004.

1. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Do any of you have any tricks for better gas mileage? I have a stock 350 TBI with a helix power tower and that is it. I get around 10 miles to the gallon. I sure costs alot these days to fill my pretty blue pig up. A friend of mine with his rig gets 15. He hot dogs it everywhere. Maybe I should just say screw it and hop it up. Also does anyone have a trick for getting the distributor tighter? Man it is a pain in the @$$! If you need more of my truck details they are listed below. Fanks Y'all! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Fuel economy or horse power?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    have a trick for getting the distributor tighter

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same problem, get the bolt real tight and you can still move it by hand. Luckily it wont move on its own and I have to push hard by hand. I think chasing the hole and using a shorter bolt may help. Gonna do it myself and will let you know. Maybe we both just grabbed the wrong bolt. Nearly everything on a chevy is one of three thread sizes, just lengths are different. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I learned at a young age, and the hard way, that a chevy motor can be disassembled with about 8 wrenches and a handful of sockets. Wonder what the hard way was; dad locked me out of his tool box.

4. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

For the distributor, instead of using a bolt, I use a grade 8 stud then put a nut on it. This way you can really crank down on it. Using A distributor wrench also helps alot. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My biggest trick to getting decent fuel mileage was swapping in the 6.2 diesel. I went from 9 mpg with my 350 on 36's, to 16+ mpg with my 6.2 and 39.5's. With an overdrive i should get very close to 20 mpg.

The best part is it'll run at any angle (like your current TBI will) and my old 350 was carbed and used to stall and flood out when I was off road.

Rene