Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gas mileage?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by southtxmud, Nov 20, 2002.

1. southtxmud

southtxmud Registered Member

i am thinking about purchasing a 1972 k5 blazer that is forsale in my area. i was just wondering what kind of gas mileage would a stock blazer get? i am just wondering to see what my options are. thanks.

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

if you have to ask, then 10-mpg might not be what your looking for. But who cares about gas when you driving a real truck /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif, and the guy at your local gas station will know you by your first name... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

10 MPG sounds about right for a stock truck. My truck, with a mild build 350/TH350 on 35" tires gets in the 6-8 range. I can't tell exactly because the speedo is way off. There is someone who said he was getting in the 14mgp range but I think he has TPI.

4. Bill4rest

Bill4rest 1/2 ton status

I get about 12, with a mild built 350/350 auto. 33's and 3.07 gears. I used GPS track log to get my miles, so I feel it's pretty close /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. bdkmiller

bdkmiller Registered Member

I get 11.6 with a 350/350 engine tranny combo. There are a lot of things that could add up to better milage but they would also add up to a worse truck.
    Be warned- gas tanks in these blazers are way too small.

Brian in NH

6. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think that the question of gas mileage is a hard one, because I get about 10 mpg my blazer. With a 427/TH350/NP205, with 4.56 gears w/ 40in. tires. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. southtxmud

Its a 1972 blazer with 115,000 original miles. Rebuilt TH 350 auto, new brakes, has 31" tires AT's approx. 70-80% tread. Headers but no exhaust. Some rust around the windshield and rocker panels. He has some replacement panels for it. Oh yea its 2 tone orange and white. It has the full removeable top has never been off. The guys is selling it for $1500. I am trying to decide if i should go ahead and buy it.

8. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

If it is in good shape, $1500 sounds like a fair price. Make sure that the rocker boxes are not rusted (large boxes under the front floor boards between the rocker panels and the frame). Windshield frames can be hard to fix and harder to find replacements.

9. southtxmud

i was wondering on what size tires could fit on a blazer stock? how much would a lift cost for one and what are some good brands of lift to install. i am looking for a 4" lift and what size tires would fit? my friend has a blazer with 4" and fits 39.5 boggers with fender trimming. thanks for all the info.

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You might be able to fit 33's stock. If you trim you will have no problem at all.
    Most people run 35's with a 4" lift and don't rub (or not bad if they do). I've got 4" lift and run 36's with the rear axle moved back 1", minor trimming in the front and more then minor trimming in the front. The reason I only needed minor trimming in the front is because I have no flex up there because of the Rancho springs (too stiff). I don't know that I would go above 38" with only a 4" lift.

Cost to lift will run from $300 up to a few thousand if you do it right.

11. southtxmud

ill try to get some pictures of my friend blazer. i am thinking of buying some 33s. what tires would you guys recomend on a modest budget. i was looking at 33x12.50 boggers, or 33x12.50 tsls, i was looking to get a decent amount of miles out of the tires. spanks for your opinions.

12. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

my 72 K10 goes about 145 miles on 20 gal.. I use a tank of gas going from Fremont to Modesto and back. Thats about 60 miles each way. When I get back Im at 1/4 or less..

13. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

boggers are not for a modest budbet. they were out to fast if your on the road. i would go for tsl radials they are pretty cheap hereabout 119 for anything up to 35's. they are also get a lot better mileage. ive seen 40,00 out of a set. my friend has never gotten more than 25000 out of his boggers

nathan

14. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i got a 4 inch lift with 35's.the front fender rubbed a little on full compression.i got procomp rear springs for 285 shipped from 4 wheel parts and they ride real nice.i dont know how good the fronts of theirs are because i havent replaced mine yrt.the rear blocks i had busted and i had to either get new blocks or go with new springs.with the new springs it rides a whole lot better.my fronts are a little stiff so eventually they will be replaced with a lower rate spring.

15. southtxmud

i am a senior in high school right now so i wont be driving much. just to school and to work. i was thinking 33x12.50 boggers on 15x10 blackies or 33x12.50 tsls on 15x10. i am looking for a cheap place to buy them tho. i really dont want to order something from a far place because of shipping charges. thanks

16. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i know a lot of people dont like them but i would call 4 wheel parts wholesalers.i called and got under 800 dollars for tsl's and rims shipped.they have tire and wheel packages running all the time.just call and see what they got.number is 18002849840

17. 6869704x4

6869704x4 Registered Member

If you are on a serious budget then shop for some off-brand mudders. For your type of driving they should be OK. Take care of them and rotate them like clockwork. Keep them pumped up to where they wear even.
    I ran 33/12.50s on my stock 70 and they never rubbed. Got 40,000 miles out of them. Once I got the money I got some TSL Swampers.
    When you buy off brand you roll the dice, but this was my experience with them.

18. silver

silver Registered Member

hell i get 6 to 6 and a half mpg on 93 octane gas (super premium) but... tradeoff= i get women, power, and i go through magnetic stips on gas cards like it's nobody's business.

grant

19. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Gas mileage? Are you crazy?!?!? <GRIN>

Seriously, I get about 10 in town, somewhere between 4 and 8 when it's in 4, and about 14 on the highway. It's carbureted and has 3.07:1 gears with 32" mudders and an NV4500.

20. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

Hey, too bad you aint from around here on yer tire deals. I got 32" recreation /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifal tires (Sport King Radials) from a guy that is a distrubutor. My mom works with his wife. I am a Junior in high school so I can see yer money problems. well, anyway I got them at $80 a piece (marked down from $120 or $130 I believe) and American chrome racing rims for $44 a piece (HUGE DEAL) and that price included the stems and lugs. When and if I get a digi. cam for Christmas, I can post some pics like the rest of these people. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif