Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas Mileage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bink, Mar 26, 2000.

1. Bink

Bink Newbie

Hello all, just a quick question, but I am sure a lot of good answers. I have a 1982 Blazer 4x4 with a stock 305, 31x10.5 tires and i am wondering how i might be able to get some better gas mileage out of it. Right now i get around 8 mpg. I know that it is a gas hog, but I would hope i can do better. I cannot take all of the emissions equipment off either since out here in Nevada the seem pretty tuff on it. I have just recently gave it a tune up, changed plugs, wires, distributor cap, and had the timeing checked, replaced all the vacuum lines. If anyone out there can help, i would greatly appreciate it, thanx Bink

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I have stock 86 with a 305 running the stock 3:08 gears and 31.10.50's and on the hiway I get close to 17mpg. I attribute this to keeping the filters clean as well as the Blazer. In addition to, I rebuilt the carb, which is a Quadrajet, lowering the primary jets in the process. Replaced all the vac lines and replaced the evaporative cannister filter. The cannister accumulates gas tank and carb bowl vapors and vents them into the intake when the engine is off idle. After all this I just constantly made little adjustments to the carb and timing till I got the best results. The factory results are a great place to start, but you can "tweak" a motor to run better for where you live. Mine runs great here in North East Ohio, but I would venture to say that it probably would run like doggy do do if taken to the beautiful Mile High state, without changing the settings. I had an old 78 Olds delta 88 that the distributor came loose and would change timing on me. Well I run back and forth to Indianapolis a few times a month to visit the folks and attend the Masonic Lodge. I found that on a few trips I was getting great mileage and then some I would use a whole tank. When I started checking into this I found that when the timing would go past the factory setting to the advanced state, gas milage went out the window, although I had great pickup and power, but when it slid around to the retarded side gas mileage was great but it definately suffered on the power side. So there I found my tradeoff. On the hiway you can spare some power to get the mileage.
    You can look through the racer magazines and find the ignition set up that allows changing of the spark advance from the dash. Then you can change it at will and find the best place that allows the best milage. Good Luck

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

And don't forget the fuel filters...

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

What gears are you running? If your engine isn't operating in its normal powerband, its going to kill your gas mileage. Like if you have 3.08's with your 31's. 3.73's would be my choice. I know its a costly upgrade but...just something to think about.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

You may want to check your compression also if the motor is worn out or needs a vavle job it will also eat gas.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

6. Bink

Bink Newbie

thanks for all the great info, I will give it a shot, and see what i can do

7. Bink

Bink Newbie

I would have to say they are the stock gears, I bought the truck about a year and a half ago, and the previous owner didnt take care of it at all. If something broke, he would take it off, and if it was drivable, he wouldnt replace it, so needless to say i am having a great time slowly returning it back to stock. This is my second Blazer, i had an 84, but had to sell it when i went overseas. I am just happy to be back behind the wheel of the best truck around.