Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas Mileage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AK-5GUY, Mar 23, 2003.

1. AK-5GUY

AK-5GUY Registered Member

My brother has a 79 K5 with a 350 and turbo 350 transmission. Right now he is running 35's and the stock 3.08's. If he changes to 4.56's with the 35's how much will his gas mileage decline? I know it will, I just need to know how much. Also, would 37's help? Thanks.
    Harrison

2. 96chevy

96chevy Registered Member

I'm not sure on the gas milage with bigger tires, but mine know completely stock is about 12 city, 10 hwy with the 350/350 setup. Do a search because there is an older post about this somewhere out there.

I know this isn't the right place, but I would like to send my thoughts and prayers to the troops in Iraq, especially the P.O.W.'s and their families.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

It could go either way. It will relieve some of the strain on the engine to get it rolling, but he might push it harder with the extra torque! the bigger/wider the tire, the more rolling resistance. That will reduce milage and add more strain to drivetrain. If he is running the stock 1/2 ton axels, I wouldn't go bigger than the 35's. Unless he road drives it only.

4. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i don't have a 350 tranny, but i do have a 350v8 with sm465 and 35's with 4:11s and i get 9.49mpg around town, and about the same on the highway

5. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

It would be hard to say how the gas miliage would change. I doubt it, but he could have better gas miliage. 3.08 gears with 35" tires has to put a lot of strain getting it to take off. My guess would be he would get better gas miliage around town and a little less on the highway.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. AK-5GUY

AK-5GUY Registered Member

Yeah, he has to put it half way to the floor to get it to move. But, when he hits exactly 30mph, and floors it, it will really move. We were rolling down the road at about 35 and a mustang pulled up beside and tried to race (because the truck is loud with the headers), so we both punched it and the mustang could not pull away /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. It was neck and neck with a 2000 mustang. But anways, thanks for the info.
    Harrison