Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas Prices... I don't get it. Somebody splain please...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by landsmasher, Mar 3, 2003.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Gas Prices... I don\'t get it. Somebody splain please...

So if we get no oil from Iraq because of the sanctions, then why are we being told that the possibility of war with Iraq is driving up the prices? Someone is telling a fib here me thinks. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Re: Gas Prices... I don\'t get it. Somebody splain please...

[ QUOTE ]
    Someone is telling a fib here me thinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

say it isn't so!

The Press would never lie to us. They are dedicated to telling the truth and providing us with UN-BIASED news!

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Oh .... I've also got some great oceanfront property in Wyoming for sale that has a spectacular view of the Himalayas. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. landsmasher

So Goob, have you got any idea why the gas prices are up so high?

4. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

Landsmasher,
    From what I have read so far, it is a combination of 3 factors:
    1. The US has had one of the coldest winters in history. There is a huge demand spike that was not predicted.

2. The strikes in Venezuela have reduced worldwide supply of oil.

3. The Iraq deal is also a factor for causing uncertainty in the world oil market. There is not necessarily a supply issue right now, but it is a potential factor in the near future.

Danny

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I'm not really sure why the prices are so high. I suspect it may be possible that the folks who HAVE the product (Oil companies, station owners, etc.) may feel the need to jack prices a little bit due to all the uncertainty in the world market these days.

Most of the people in the US actually think we get most of our oil from the Middle East and just accept the idea that oilk prices are going up because of the conflict when, in reality, we get most of our oil from other places like Venezuela. The Middle East as a whole, not JUST Iraq, provides a very small (I believe it's less than 20%) percentage of the oil imported to the US. Other countries (Specifically: France and Germany) get a FAR LARGER percentage of their oil maily from IRAQ .... but that's another discussion.

Venezuela is a whole differnt box-o-worms. Thier leadership is pretty screwed up these days and some of the oil producers there may be increasing their selling price because they are afraid of what may happen.

I think the bottom line is; The prices are going up and will continue to go up until demand starts to fall off. This hits them in the pocketbook and they will need to lower prices to keep the demand high.

I just wish my Suburban demanded less gas ......... $54.00 to fill that bugger up this morning!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That is the same thing being reported in the Canadian press.

Cold winter, above average use/need due to cold winter= low reserves.

Venezuela

Uncertainty driving crude prices further upwards due to the threat of war in Iraq. My guess on the uncertainty part is this...what if Saddam decided to try and hurt the US where it really would hurt, start targeting oil production and storage facilities wherever he could. Kuwait, Saudi, etc etc...

Rene

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

It's a steaming pile of malarky. When you go to the store to buy a few quarts of oil, how much are those? Same price. When you go to buy any of the other thousands of items that are made from oil, how much are those? Same price. It's a big thing created by whoever owns these oil companoes to drive prices up to make more money. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Simple anser.
    Supply and Demand

Look at what an SUV cost 15 years ago. Now that everyone and their mother has to have one they have sky rocketed in price. Hence Supply and Demand.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, like Corey said, but to expand on that, someone that has something we need, now has the opportuity to jerk us a little more, and *appear* to have a cause for it.

Burns me up when $15 only gets me 8 gallons in gas. I keep a record of every fueling, last time I wrot it down I got 12 gallons for $20, which still sucks royally.

10. landsmasher

Well I'm just glad my K5 isn't my daily driver. I drive a full size van for work and it now costs me $64 to fill it. That get's me through the week. Fuel injection rocks... I just wish there was something we could do about it. Guess I'm dreaming... Hey but on the good side, at least everything else we need to live is going up too! And at a higher rate than the cost of gas! Cool eh? Got duct tape?

OH! and skydiving has only gone up $2 in the last 8 years. But it's gonna skyrocket now. Our planes run on Jet fuel... I'll keep ya posted on the price of Jet-A...

11. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Wages are about the only thing not going up.Lots of jobs are leaving the country because wages are cheaper elseware too. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifI want to tell these companies to sell the products to the ones making them cause we don't have jobs now. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif