Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GAS PRICES

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazindorito, May 19, 2004.

1. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

>A GOOD IDEA

> IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT
    > > PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL
    > > COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.
    > >
    > >
    > > AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER
    > > 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.
    > >
    > >
    > > THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT TO THEM" DAY AND
    > > THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT
    > > DAY.
    >

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

This is an e-mail that has been going around for a few years now. The date always changes but it's basicly the same. It does no good cause what gas You don't buy on the 19'th You'll just buy it on the 20'th so the oil companys may lose 4.6 billon on the 19'th but they'll make 9.2 billon on the 20'th breaking even /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

If you really want to make a dent do not use any fuel for a month.

Problem is their are many reasons why the fuel is expensive (even though in reality it is cheap, bottled water sells for more) and making the industry lose profits will not make the price drop.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I work at a gas station, I welcome it, give me a day of just watching TV. We won't really lose money though, People are stupid, I'm sure they bought gas yesterday so they wouldn't need to today. Or they will tomorrow. Either way a single day is nothing. In reality you should look into who you are buying gas from. The station I work for is privately owned. You'd just be hurting a well liked local person with a gas ban there. Same for the station across the street from us. Other stations are owned by the gas companies themselves and then you can deal with that. See we pay for the gas whether we sell it or not and its already paid for. we own what sits in our tanks, so if you boycott us you are just hurting private citizens that live among you not the gas giant.

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I agree... the only way is to force a gas war. If everyone actually picked one company and avoided them for as long as possible, it may just work. Like Esso, if everyone didnt buy any gas from them, they would have to do something. Avoid them until they drop thier prices, then avoid everyone else. If we could get a large number of people to cooperate, it could work. Unfortunately, most people are too lazy to make the extra drive 1/2 block to avoid one or the other station.

Mike

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

actually gas wars are illegal, companies aren't allowed to just drop their prices to draw business like that. Weights and measures won't allow it, they tried a few months back in a city down the line, sold at a slight loss and didn't take long before the price had to go back up. See the problem is that at the end of the line(the fueling station) there is very little money to play with. You pretty much make no profit, or you lose if you want to draw business. There have been many times we put off uping the price of gas a few days and sold at an actual loss to keep our price down. Our loss was like .01 a gallon but we never make more than like .06 a gallon. People just don't get that the fueling stations have little to no control on the price of gas.

7. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I understand that the station has little to no power, but in your opinon, do you think the gas manufactors are behind closed doors together when prices go up as high as they are now, or is it for a legitment reason? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

As for the one day boycot, read this: Gas boycot

8. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

There is nothing we can do about gas prices, that is just the way it is. America revolves around the automobile, so stop whining and pay what it costs. You can take part in carpooling, bus services, telecommuting, planning out errands, and buying a more efficient vehicle to reduce fuel consumption and save you money.

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    (even though in reality it is cheap, bottled water sells for more)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this argument. I sure as hell don't buy 50 gallons of water, coke, milk etc every week. The reason that stuff is more expensive than fuel is because you don't buy as much of it... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah, if you buy 50 gallons of water at a time its cheaper than gasoline, but gas doesn't get cheaper if you buy a lot. Unless you buy a truck load for like a farm then its not legal for street use(thank you government). And actually I get a gallon of water all the time for 1.50. Seems cheaper than 2.03 in my line of math.

11. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

Yea but if you wanted to run that water in your car you would have to pay the $0.60/gal highway tax on it, therefore making it $2.10/gal.

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I was talking about fancy-pants bottled water like Evian or something not the cheapo gallon-o-water at the grocery store... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif...hell, I can get a gallon of Ozarka for 1 clam around here...

13. bshewmaker

bshewmaker Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    We own what sits in our tanks

[/ QUOTE ]. So why don't you finish selling what you have in your tanks for what you bought it for? Instead of when you buy it for $2 dollars and sell it for 2.10, but when the oil companys price goes up to 2.10 you raise your rates to 2.20 raising the margin from .1 to .2? I understand this is just smart buisness practice, but I dont agree with the "cry for me" small town business owner theme.

14. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C
    Here in Burnaby BC gas is 96.9 cents. ouch!

15. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I agree, around here, whenever OPEC cuts production, or a pipeline bursts, prices jump almost immediately, and the oil companies say it's because of the pipeline or production cuts. However, if OPEC increases production, the pipeline goes back into operation or whatever that would make the price drop, the oil companies are sure quick to say it will take a month or however long for prices to drop since they will only drop when the gas made from the increased oil production hits the market. Usually we never end up seeing this decrease in price either. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]. So why don't you finish selling what you have in your tanks for what you bought it for? Instead of when you buy it for $2 dollars and sell it for 2.10, but when the oil companys price goes up to 2.10 you raise your rates to 2.20 raising the margin from .1 to .2? I understand this is just smart buisness practice, but I dont agree with the "cry for me" small town business owner theme.

[/ QUOTE ] I don't really get what you are asking. Are you saying we should sell everything at cost as a public service? I agree the whole fuel/oil industry is bull and needs some type of kick in the ass. But you should really understand that the end of the line people, like my boss, have the LEAST to do with the price in the chain. The state and federal government have much more money coming out of that gallon of gasoline than we could dream of. Agreed its all bull with the price jumping up and parachuting down. But people who yell and bitch at the guy behind the counter at the local gas station are doing nothing but beating on a human punching bag and losing their voices. Next time I have the power to call OPEC up and lodge a complaint that lowers the gas price I will think of you guys /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I think your comments are a little clearer now, its really hard to explain why we don't do that. Actually we often do do that. See we often get deliveries in the morning or afternoon, but we do not change the price at this time. Rather we wait till nightfall right before closing to change them. So we sell the whole day for the lower price. It often ends up that we sell more than what we had, meaning we sell some of the higher priced stuff as well for the lower price. Now I know for a fact not all businesses do that, we are just one of the ones that does.

One thing I've been noticing and I never hear comments on is the discrepency between the price of regular and premium. This time last year premium was approximately .10 cents more expensive than regular, now its .20 cents higher. As the prices have steadily increased the gas between regular and midgrade and midgrade and premium have also steadily increased. Personally that doesn't make sense, but it is the way things have been going.

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Quit your whining. Gas is cheap in America.
    Its a small price to pay for Freedom! I am sick of people blaming oil companies or President Bush every time gas goes up a couple of cents.
    If you want to blame someone. Blame the Bonehead environmentalists. They have almost stopped oil drilling/exploration in America. No drilling in the Gulf of Mexico where there is as much oil as Saudi Arabia has. No drilling in ANWAR. Lost of oil there No drilling off the Calif Coast lots of oil there too.
    They scream bloody murder any time someone trys to build a refinery and find some way to stop it. They have forced us to be at the mercy of forign oil. Almost crippled our domestic fuel production.
    Damn Eco-Nazi Commies. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Screw the Boycott. I took all my cars down and filled them up today. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

Because the fuel station has to purchase the next load of gas and a higher price, so they have to charge more for this load of fuel.

20. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If you really want to make a dent do not use any fuel for a month.

Problem is their are many reasons why the fuel is expensive (even though in reality it is cheap, bottled water sells for more) and making the industry lose profits will not make the price drop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I buy every 3 days... so that would be 2000 miles you dont want me to buy fuel /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif