Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas prices

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Apr 26, 2006.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

What are all fo you doing to help you save money on gas? Are you driving different cats/trucks????? Gas is at 3 bucks a gallon and I am still driving my k5 around. But they are talking about 4 bucks a gallon by mid summer. I might buy a bike. I am turning my hubs on my k5 into manual. I am hoping that I see a better MPG after I install my Np205.......I don't think that will happen.:rolleyes:
    Thanks
    adam

2. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

im going to start riding my 02' KTM 400 EXC that is duel sport licenced to work.

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

If I worried about fuel costs, but still wanted a 4x4, I'd have bought Sammy instead.

Maybe (and hopefully) this will get this thread moved to the lounge, but there's a lot of media-hyped panic about gas prices now, and there wouldn't be nearly as much talk about it everywhere - even if the prices were 50% higher - if the guy in the White House was from the other Party.

4. crometooth

crometooth Registered Member

to true.

5. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

I ride my Suzuki DR650. Hard on the knobbies, but still gets better then 40 mpg. I try to ride at least 3times a wk

6. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

i only pay for gas on my trail rig, so i dont care too much but this 3.29 a gal. crap made me take my double pumper off and put the quadrojet back on.

7. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I've been considering buying a bicycle to ride back and forth to work on base, it's only a 3 mile round trip, and it would be great PT. But sometimes it gets a little too windy down here.

8. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

Driving like a grandpa

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Go grease. :)

And people said I was nuts. :haha:

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Pookster..

Have you read about the new "secret" stuff for diesels that converts veggy oil into burnable fuel with no conversions,lye,home brew biodiesel tanks in your garage,etc???....I am skeptical,but it sounds interesting...more info at www.dieselsecret.com or google "Alternative fuels",it'll show up..

I'm seriously considering using at least SOME veggy oil in with the diesel fuel for my truck,after filtering the piss out of it....I live 1/4 from a Wendy's and Applebee's..maybe I can bribe them to "lose" a 5 gallon pail every few days..(here,they are required to log in the amount they dispose of,and which company hauled it away..its treated like hazordous waste!..:mad: )...

11. ct85k10

ct85k10 1/2 ton status

biodiesel actualy works and is actualy better for your engine than petroileum diesel a frend of mine is almost fineshed with his prossesor and i am not far behind i just need a diesel. the way i see it just going from gas to diesel will double my gas milage and then biodiesel can typicaly be made for less then a a dollar a gallon so i will be reducing my gas price 1/6
    here is some info on biodiesel and making your own
    http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleseedprocessor/
    colby

12. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Roudolf Diesel intended/designed/built his engine to run on peanut/ veggie oil, biodiesel is nothing new.

13. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Gas is $1.22 Canadian here now. Time to get my old Diesel Topaz back on the road I guess.

14. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We are looking at getting a Toyota Camry Hybrid when it comes out in May, to add to the fleet of the '79 K5, 2005 Dodge Dsl Dually and 2000 Ford Excursion. The Camry Hyrbid gets us tax credits of $ 2,600 (IRS) and $ 1,500 from the state of Oregon, which offset the add costs over getting a cheaper car. The Hybrid will be the run around town car and work car for my wife.

15. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

Fortunately my Blaz isn't a DD anymore. I drive my 06 Frontier around and it gets about 23 MPG. Not too bad but it still hurts. Im still not seeing a lagitimate reason for these hike ups in gas prices. Its preety dumb.

~Brian

16. 86 Jimmy

86 Jimmy Registered Member

Okay this is my first post on CK5. I'm not a full member just yet, but i will be one by next week. Here's my two cents on the whole gas thing. Gas is a fact of life of life, we have no control over the price of it. All we know is that we need it. Gas really isn't too bad where I live. About 1$/litre (not sure what the conversion is) but I'm also in suburbia where everyone drives bigs trucks. A common complaint you hear is gas prices, and how expensive it is to drive. My response to most of them is, if you are so concerned with gas prices then maybe you should have realized that a 5000lb truck maybe isn't the best choice to be picking up the kids and running to the grocery store in. So as far as us K5ers, we (should) own our vehicles and they may be be large and cost a ton for gas, but buying another car just for gas mileage never works out. Just do the math... so i'll wrap this up and i'm sure many people have many thoughts against what i said... the most fuel effecient vehicle i drive? My 2005 V8 Silverado Z71, and never tell me at the pumps "man it must suck filling that up" lol

17. 86 Jimmy

86 Jimmy Registered Member

In fact, scrap that... i'm joining right now!

18. smokecooler

smokecooler Newbie

Spare a thought you American Bro's .....Where I live in the UK gas prices are also going through the roof. Its costs almost one English pound per liter, and as the Pound to Dollar exchange is say $1.43 and there are aprox. 4.5 liters to the english gallon that I think makes it nearly $6.5 per gallon.That makes me laugh like an idiot for driving this monster but what the heck its still cheeper than Jack and coke.

19. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

i did the math 86 jimmy, its cheaper for me to buy another car for gas mileage. I drive 60 miles a day and my 74 gets 7 mpg's. I bought a toyota for 600 and gets 21 mpg's so that 3x better and the truck only cost me 1 months gas to start making money. Its all about finding deals. Hell i bought the toyota 2 months ago and drove 7000 miles already doing side jobs and stuff imagine what that would have cost in my 74 and the toyota is still a longbed pickup.

20. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

When i get back from Afghanistan at the end of the summer im buying a Scooter to drive on base. Yeah peopl will bee laughing at me until im at the pump paying 6 bucks for 2 weeks. Im still gonna build and drive my truck for fun or when it rains etc. But 80mpg, you cant beat that.