Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gas quality

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Feb 3, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

whats the best brand of gasoline around you? here, its Amoco or Texaco. gogas has really been horrible lately, as has the kangaroo stations' gas (ive heard they get it from gogas). anyway, since gas quality has gone down lately, can anyone suggest an additive that'll make it burn better?

midgrade makes my truck ping at WOT or when i float the throttle, and driving a yukon 100 miles daily is not conducive to running 93 octane. anyway, i dont really feel like eating a piston, so any ideas on an additive?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

76 is probably the best with not having MTBE, chevron next and shell isn't bad either. I would stay away from arco's and mom & pop shops.

3. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

<<can anyone suggest an additive that'll make it burn better?>>

Check out the TK7 Gasoline catalyst at www.bndautomotive.com. I've been running it in my 87 K5 for about 2 years now. Check out the section on their Quantum Blue lubricants too. I met the BND guys at a swap meet here in cleveland, and they're straight up.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I only run 91 oct. (93 if I can find it) in all my vehicles. Yeah, I pay alittle more at the pumps, but it seams to last longer (Don't have too gas up as often) seams to get better mpg's so it's worth it.

5. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I prefer the Chevron myself.

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

When it comes to gasoline, the same refinery supplies almost all of the stations in your local area. Yup, same gas at every station.

The difference is in what they add to the tanker truck after they fill it up.

[begin long boring rant]

Gasoline produced by refining crude oil has an octane rating below 60, which is why you can't put it straight into a car. So, you have to add some kind of octane booster like tetraethyl lead ( Pb(CH2CH3)4) or 2,2,4-trimethylpentane. Some states also require a certain percentage of oxygenates to be added to "reduce emissions”. Oxygenates are substances that carries extra oxygen molecules. This extra oxygen is supposed to "enhance combustion" and "lower emissions". Oxygenates started replacing tetraethyl lead as an octane enhancer in the late 70's. Tetraethyl lead worked as not only an octane booster but also as a high temp lubricant. The only problem with Tetraethyl lead was that it was poisoning everyone. Newer cylinder heads MUST have hardened valve seats to compensate for the lack of lead or your valves will recede into the head ... that's bad. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. If you have a set of cylinder heads that were produced before the mid 70's then they did not have the hardened seats and they worked fine with leaded (regular) gas. That's why you need to have hardened valve seats installed in older heads. Oxygenates are more expensive than gasoline but since they are government mandated and subsidized, they are cheaper for the stations to buy.

There are basically two types of oxygenates:

Ethanol:

Ethanol is alcohol and it’s very corrosive and needs a separate transportation medium than gasoline. Your truck does not like high levels of ethanol as it has very different burning characteristics than gasoline. A little bit is all right, occasionally. Most gas line antifreeze/treatments (the $1 -$2 ones) are just ethanol. It absorbs any moisture in your tank and keeps the lines from freezing and/or rusting. Years ago, we would pour a bottle of this stuff in the tank once a month to keep things flowing (it got really cold in Minnesota) but it does nothing to help combustion since the burning characteristics of ethanol are much different than gasoline.

MTBE:

MTBE (Methyl Tertiary-Butyl Ether) is another additive that some stations put in there. Combining methanol and isobutylene makes MTBE. It is not nearly as corrosive as Ethanol so it can be transported in existing supply mediums. The EPA has done a great deal of research on the health risks associated with inhaling MTBE and concluded that the risks are very low. What they did not do is test what the health risks are when you drink the stuff not to mention the nasty smell. As little as 20 parts per billion can make a water supply smell like turpentine. California has banned the use of MTBE and a few other states are right behind them.

So the short answer is, you get what you pay for. All gasoline-powered engines will pollute the environment so make sure your truck is tuned to run whatever you put in the tank. You don’t need to get the most expensive gas out there but good quality gasoline will cost more than the flammable piss you can buy at some of the smaller “mom & pop” stations.

[end long boring rant]

I like Chevron for a couple of reason:

<ul type="square"> [*]They have been supplying all the fuel to GM, Furd and Chrysler used to perform their durability and emissions testing since the early 70’s. [*]Their price is usually "middle of the road". [*]My son like their cartoon cars! [/list]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif