Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas radiator on 6,2 diesel in passenger car?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BelAir, Dec 11, 2002.

1. BelAir

BelAir Registered Member

Hello all. I am installing a 1983 6,2 diesel into my 1959 Chevy Biscayne. When I saw the donor van`s radiator, I had to smile, it was almost as wide as the whole van!! Now, I can imagine you would need a big radiator like that when hauling heavy stuff in a big heavy van with maybe a trailer.
    But can I use the original (bigblock) radiator that was in my 1959? It cooled a 350 hp 348 cid (of 409 fame) engine before. My experience here in Norwegian winters is that diesel engines heat up slowly in cold weather, and that it is harder to keep a good running temp when it is freezing. Would think that a diesel needed lesser cooling than a gasoline engine?
    This is a budget build, so if I am able to use the radiator I`ve got, I would be happy. The 6,2 also came in some Chevy Caprice stationwagons, did they have the enormous radiator as well?

regards, Joe

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Re: Gas radiator on 6,2 diesel in passanger car?

Run with it and see what happens. Make sure you run a reliable temp guage with it.

If it won't cool, you'll have to go bigger - either massage in the van radiator, or have it re-cored at a radiator shop.

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

The 6.2 was not available in any cars, not in the states anyway. If the stock radiator don't work check out the universal aluminum radiators in Summit or Jegs and install the largest that will fit. But not pulling a heavy load you should be fine. My brother in-law uses a 3 core gas radiator in his 6.2 truck, doesn't tow and has no problems.

4. BelAir

BelAir Registered Member

Well, I have seen cars with the 6,2, and don`t think they were convertions. OK, I`ve made up my mind, will run the ol 59 radiator and see what cooks (bad choice of frase....)
    43 years is not much for a radiator, is it??.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thank you!

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

The 5.7 diesel(olds 350) was available in some cars, but not the 6.2 as far as I know.

Mike

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I agree that the 6.2L was not available in cars from GM. The 5.7L diesel was available until 1985 though.

The 5.7L radiator was much smaller than the 6.2L. I know when I replaced the 5.7L diesel with a 6.2L in an old Blazer I had, that the 6.2L radiator dwarfed the 5.7L unit. However, without towing, I would just use the radiator you have now.

Casey

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I hope someone else chimes in if I am wrong, but the 5.7diesel was not available in the blazer or the trucks.
    It was available in Caddies, and oldsmobile cars.
    If yours had a 5.7 someone put it there, and it's not that much bigger /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and I believe for a car application, in NORWAY for normal driving the stock radiator should be OK.
    if you have a manual tranny you should be fine, if you have an auto, then put a tranny cooler inline because the tranny will make the coolant hotter, I know because it happened to me.
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I think the 5.7 was availble in the trucks for a couple of years before the 6.2L. In fact I think I have an old brochure from '80-81 that showed the diesel as an option.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I knew I could be wrong on the trucks, but from what we've seen on the blazer options, the 5.7 never was offered.
    The first diesel blazer was the 82 6.2 right?
    He said the 5.7 in an older blazer, so I am sure it was a custom job just like my 76 blazer.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My Chilton's shows the 5.7 for 80 and 81 at least...

Rene

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Truck not blazer. right?

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The book doesn't say it wasn't available in certain models...and anything available in a half ton 4x4 was available in the K5 too.

rene

13. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I'm not for sure on the Blazer question, but yes, my '77 Blazer had a transplanted 5.7L diesel...I put it there! I bought the complete drivetrain from an Olds 98, including radiator, tranny, and all accessories. I was going to college at the time and needed a good, economical vehicle. I refused to drive a mini-pickup. That 5.7L powered Blazer yielded excellent fuel mileage. It just blew head gaskets too often. I finally got fed up and put a 6.2L in it's place. Then I pulled that 6.2L and put it into my pickup and put the 305 from the truck into the Blazer and sold it. That was my first diesel conversion. 305 to 5.7L diesel, then to 6.2L diesel, then back to a 305.

The 5.7L diesel was introduced in 1978, and offered in 1/2 ton trucks until 1981, and full-size cars until 1985. The 6.2L was introduced in 1982 and was available in all truck lines, Blazers, Suburbans, vans, motorhome chassis, etc.

I really don't know if the 5.7L's were available in Blazers or not.

Casey

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have seen all the brochures for the Blazers, and none offered the 5.7 diesel.
    I wish I had the brochures for the pickup trucks too, there are a few options I wanted to check out.
    Does anyone have them?
    I know Blazer chalet has the blazer brochures on the web.
    Anyone with the trucks?
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif