Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gas tank and carberator

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85 k5, Sep 16, 2003.

1. 85 k5

85 k5 Newbie

Here I am again. Ok I have this ruptured gas tank. Been searching and looking at tanks and learning alot I don't understand. So when you replace a gas tank do you need to get Lock ring, gasket for sending unit, sending unit, straps or mounting brackets all of this stuff? Also see some kind of treatment for tank to stop rust is this suppose to be done to? Now for carberator if the one you have has been rebuilt 2 times and you are told it can't be adjusted anymore should I get new carb. Sorry for all the stupid questions but I'm a middle age female and most feel I have lost my mind for wanting to keep this blazer but what do they know. The blazer is an 85 with a 305, 75,000 miles and 2 spots of rust and I don't want to get rid of it. So am I crazy for wanting to restore it, and what other stuff should I be thinking about changing.

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if you want a full off restore then find another carb, or buy a rebuilt factory replacement. if you want the body to be NICE and dont care much about the drivetrain then buy a holly or edielbrock carb. i prefer the edielbrocks personaly. BUT the holly carbs are nice as well.

as for the gas tank, the best thing to di is pull as much as you can. even some of the lines. this way if the straps break while you are removing yours or if the lines kink on yours then you have replacements. and the tank treatments, well you will have the tank out and will be wble tolook in it. so if you see ANY rust, do the treatment.

since you are a member with 3 posts(we like that here BIG time on CK5) you can go into the for sale wanted area and find what ya need. lots of gas tanks for sale on here.

good luck. oh, and yer not crazy for keeping it.
    Grant

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

You may want to PM "Grim-Reaper" He's one of the moderators here and lives in the Atlanta area. The is a 4wd club there which I'm sure they can help you too

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

GM tank setups are really good IMO.

I've taken the sending units out, and replacing the lock ring is NOT going to be necessary unless someone messes it up while "unlocking" it. It's so simple though, it would be hard to screw it up.

The seal you will know when you pull it. I've pulled the senders and reused the seal in about 5 tanks, and no problems so far. If you buy a *new* tank, it will probably come with at least the seal. It's just a big o-ring, probably get it much cheaper at a hydraulic place if you need to replace it.

If looking at used tanks, pull the sender out and look inside. A dentists mirror might help you to check the top of the tank. I say if you see any rust, skip it. For approx. $130 new, there really isn't much incentive to pull a $50 used tank that is questionable internally, unless you need the sending unit. The tanks are coated internally by GM, so if it is rusty inside, IMO, that tank is garbage.