Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas tank anti-squeak pads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spearchucker, Aug 12, 2004.

1. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I've been overhauling my gas tank recently. Besides cleaning off all the crud off on the outside, cleaning all the electrical contacts, and the pump sock (I don't know how the old one passed any fuel at all with all the varnish on it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif), I replaced the original fuel pump. The old pump vibrated violently when I hooked it up to a 12V source, guess that's what the buzzing noise was I kept hearing. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Any how, I need to get some anti-squeak pads for when I remount the tank. It looks like the original ones are very similar to heavy roofing felt or are they made out out something special? Could I use the roofing felt or should I just order the pads from LMC?

BTW: I'm happy to report that after 15yrs of service, the inside of my tank looks brand new, no sediment, rust, water, nothing ... and the baffles are still in tact. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

2. I got mine from the dealer, they were pretty cheap.

3. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I got some from LMC, they were nice and cheap...They feel just like roofing material to me tho

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I used a couple sections of old linolium strips (sp? - the vinyl flooring stuff). /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I used the rubber that is used for shower floors. You can find it at any local Home Depot or Lowes. It's the stuff they put down under the tile. Works great. Just cut it into the correct strips and your golden. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. mudd_rat

mudd_rat Registered Member

on my long bed mine were just some old thick inner tubes from like a big truck.

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I used a new large bike innertube cut up when I did my new 43 gallon tank.

8. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I don't have any inner tubes laying around but I do have the rubber shower liner from my bathroom I just finished. Never thought of that and it is pretty durable. Thanks for the ideas. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I used roofing material 15#

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Used roofing felt on mine too...just forgot to get the GM pads before needing to install the tank, didn't feel like waiting.