Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gas tank covers and bump stops

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blue Goose, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Blue Goose

Blue Goose Registered Member

I own a 1984 silverado pickup. One of them big plastic shield/covering deals was off on one of the tanks on my pickup, so I just took the other one off. Are they really important? I supposed to protect against rocks and stuff maybe? but I don't really do any wheeling like you guys do, like hardcore stuff, the wheeling I do comes when I'm hunting and fishing, and I am usually pretty gentle.

also, when I put headers on my motor, I took off one of the bumpstops. Should I do some cutting and stuff and find a way to put it back on? are they that important?

thanks for the help, this is definetely the best automotive site i've been on.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Gas tank covers: I'd put one back on. Like you, I hunt/fish, very little if any of that would be called "hard core" by the folks forced to run Dana 60 fronts on this board. :)

Last year I hit a fairly good sized branch that had fallen on the logging road, and it kicked up and smacked my tank. Didn't do any damage luckily, but I've since reinstalled the factory skidplate. (K5) Plastic probably won't do much, but it's better than nothing IMO. Would only take one nasty hit to make a nice dent in the tank.

My front axle seems to love finding the bumpstops in my truck, so I'm a bit concerned that if I remove them, there might be too much travel and things start breaking. Guess I should ask, which bumpstop? There are 3 on the later K5's, one for the diff center section, one that hits the axle tube/spring plate, and then one that hits the rear of the spring about midway between the shackle and axle. I removed the diff bumpstop, but left the other two.

I plan on trimming a spare stop (already done) and testing suspension movement to make sure the front shaft doesn't compress too much. The stock shaft I've got has very little travel.

3. Blue Goose

Blue Goose Registered Member

the bumpstop I removed was on the passenger side, right above the front diff.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So it was the one that has the really long mount, and contacts the flat pad on the diff carrier housing?

I've had that one off for years, and as I recall, that was only on certain years. Never seen any problem without it.

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I thought the plastic shield was sort of like a splash guard for the gas in case of a side impact. Isn't that the same kind of a shield that the recalled pintos got?

6. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I also took that bumpstop off because of the headers. With the 4" lift and the aftermarket bumpstops I put on the front, I'm not too worried about the diff hitting anything.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Gas tank sheild..

I rip those plastic tank sheilds off!--they are great for holding mud ,leaves,and salt against the tank,rotting it out in record time...at least where I live!..I have a few out in the woods if anyone wants one!.. :crazy:

I read somewhere those sheilds were installed to reduce the chance of puncture in a side collision,and to help prevent the tank if the straps should break,and let it drop down and drag on the ground..dont know how true it is or not--I can see a dragging steel tank on asphalt at 65 mph COULD be a bit dangerous :eek1: :crazy: