Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas tank drop procedure?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B_to_C, Apr 25, 2004.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

....As if I didn't have enough problems with my Death Wobble. My fuel pump went out last night about 1 mile from home... Had to pay "Marv's Quality Towing" $70 for that mile. So now I've got to replace the pump. Any instructions / cautions / advice about doing this? Oh and of course I had just filled up /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

didnt say what truck ya have. But I'll assume its a k5, and its Fuel injected, since you have an in tank pump. So here's the easy way....

there is none. its a PITA, unless in your infinate wisdom, you installed a drain valve. If you did not...

Your gonna have to get that fuel out. If you have a power pump, get some jerry cans ready. Suck it allll out
    Unbolt the skid plate if you have one.

Then undo the straps, while keeping the tank supported. Carefully lower it ever so slightly, so you can undo the lines. Be very careful, as too much movement can snap/damage/cause leaks. (be a good idea to spray it down with pb blast or something). Support the fittings, so you dont twist the fuel line. After all lines (and power) have been removed, you can get the tank out.

A buddy or two helps this process ALOT.

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

How exactly do you disconnect the lines?

4. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Thanks pookster....too bad your post was a day late. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif A freind and I dropped it yesterday. And yes I GAVE AWAY $50 worth of gas /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif AND it wasn't the pump that was gone, the power line to the pump corroded inside the connector at the top of the tank...so it's off to the junkyard tomorrow morning to scrounge up another one. (Today was spent trying to cram in school, work, and celebrating my 20th b-day )

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

IIRC, they are flared fuel line fittings, I think 5/8 OD. Do yourself a favor, and get the specilized wrench, it allows you to apply more power to the nut, which usually doesnt come off easily.

I think the return line might just be a regular clamp.