Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas tank flush?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBurban, Jul 5, 2000.

1. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

I'm rounding the final turn on my diesel to gas conversion and need to flush the ol' gas tank. The radiator shops around town that do this type of work seem to quoting me some pretty high prices (a lot higher than I thought it would be at least). Is there a product on the market or technique that anyone's used for doing this themselves? BTW- The tank IS out of the truck. Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

<font color=blue>~BigBurban</font color=blue>
    [​IMG]

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would think that some type of liquid degreaser would work!
    As long as it evaporates after you dump out the dirty liquid. Then mabie finnish the job with a couple cans of carb cleaner.??
    Just guessing???

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

If it's that expensive would it be cheaper to get a replacement tank?

89 K5 Silverado

4. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

They want $85 to do the tank and I can't locate a descent used tank. All the new tanks I've priced so far are at least double that. I just looked on Eastwood's page and they make quite a few things for cleaning and sealing, but I'm starting to think I could probably just get away with degreasing the thing, powerwashing it, and following up with a light coat of WD-40 or something until I can get some gas in it. Over thinking projects will most likely be the death of me. D@mn this mind of mine! [​IMG] Thanks for the replies guys!

[​IMG]

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

How bout throwing a lit match inside? That would sure take care of any diesel leftovers![​IMG][​IMG]

Now, seriously, Raybuck sells tanks for Blazers. I quoted one a while ago. It was only a little bit more than what a treatment costs. They are even treated to prevent corrosion. You might want to call them (800)334-0230.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Why not just run it with a bit of diesel in the tank? Some people add diesel or kerosene to clean out the carbon depisits in their engines, and as long as you have a healthy bit of gas in the tank too, I don't think you'll have too many problems.

7. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

Well, after 18 years of diesel fuel having resided in the tank, there's quite a layer of caked black soot on the inside. The tank's already removed and empty, I just didn't want to slap the it back in, put gas in it, and have all that crap loosen. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If there's enough crap in there that you wouldn't want to fill it with gas and go, you should probably bite the bullet and pay to have it professionally done. This way, you won't have to worry about using some chemical concoction whose fumes may explode if you think about a spark. AND, you won't have to figure out a place to dump the crap from the tank. That's my 2 cents...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!