Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas tank leaking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It seems that I sprung a leak on my K5 gas tank. I'm not sure where because of the skid plate, but the truck is very clean and rust free. Do they chafe at the straps sometimes or something?

This is a slow leak. Is that stop leak stuff okay to use? I don't want to plug my injectors or something.

If I need to get a new tank, any recommendations? Are plastic tanks available? Since I upgraded to EFI, I'd take the opportunity to move the pump to the tank and all that too.

2. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

i once repaired my own tank before...that was when I had time for **** like that...

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only "weak spots" I saw on my tank are where the felt stuff is used to keep the tank from rubbing on the straps or body, and the center of the tank where it bulged a bit and touched the skid plate. Holds water, and if rocks or dirt get in there, will also hasten abrasion. Mine was in good shape other than under the felt, where it was pretty rusty.

IMO getting another tank is a better idea, but I'd pull the skid plate and see if you can find the problem.

Of course, the tank was 25 years old, so it's not really a huge deal, but I went ahead and drilled 3 holes through the skidplate across the center of the skidplate where the rust was on the tank (so the skid can drain) and painted the new tank where the felt is run with POR-15. If it got 25 years unprotected, I figure at least another 30 years. :)

4. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I haven't looked real closely, but it looks easier than the side tank on the truck I replaced last year. I was hoarse from cussing every day when I quit that project. The worst of it was hooking up the connections with the tank in place.

Any opinions on the stop leak junk to get me by until my garage work is finished? :rolleyes:

So, you can take the skid plate off without the tank coming down too? I know, RTFM...

5. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

yes you can. but unfortuantly to make things easier for you this also means pullin the rear bumper.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, skid will come off without dropping the tank, but it may be easier to drop the bumper to get at the bolts in the rear. It's not that hard with it in place, but pulling the bumper isn't hard either, and it will be loose when you go back and replace the tank.