Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas tank mount location

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Is there any ill effects for the motor if a gas tank is mounted higher than the frame?
    I have a BBc with a stock mech fuel pump, and for my hybrid, the plan is to mount the stock tank on top of the frame rails in the center behind the cab. Everything should function normally right?

Thanks
    Mike

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

should be no effect. The only thing you may want to think about is placement that far forward or high from a center of gravity and weight placement. If your project is going to stay how it looks in your avatar image the tank weight that far forward may be a bad idea. Namely with a BBC, an S10 cab(however lighter it may be) heavy front axle(not sure if you have a 60), a very light rear end could spell endo on a downhill.

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Naw, I just recently had the vision of how its going to be built. I am putting on the box (real short) and mounting the tank in the floor. I also have a Ramsey 8000lb winch to put back in the rear between the frame rails where the tank was originally.
    I dont think it will be too much of a problem with the weight thing, but I will watch it. :)

Later
    Mike