Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas tank options

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ecameron87, Aug 7, 2006.

1. ecameron87

ecameron87 1/2 ton status

I would like to know what options I have with my fuel tank. Currently I have an aftermarket 38 gallon tank that hangs way down low as you can kind of tell in this picture.

[​IMG]

Under extreme flex the extra capacity diff cover will hit the tank. I cannot move it further back without taking out the rear crossmember (which I am willing to do if I have to.) I do like having this much fuel as I get around 8mpg. I do not have a body lift and cannot use one because of the roll cage being tied to the frame. I also do not want to cut into the bed because I like to sleep in the back when camping.

What other options do I have? Is there a custom tank out there that could better suit my needs? Has anyone tried using low profile side saddle tanks in place of the rocker boxes? I am planning on tying some rocker panel sliders into the cage and frame for support and wouldn't need the rocker boxes anymore.

Bigger lift and tires? :wink1:

Should I not worry about it?

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Recently, I saw an early Bronco with twin 8? gallon tanks that went up and over the rear wheelwells, inside the bed. They did not stick out past the wheelwells, so still had full width tween the wells. You could run a set of them, with a stock tank and have the same capacity as your aftermarket tank.

3. fairlane_68

fairlane_68 Registered Member

There's always the fuel cell route, and you can get a sender to match your trucks stock gauge. I had a 30-gal cell in mine with an Auto Meter guage. Nice Blazer, btw...

4. ecameron87

What kind of fuel cell did you get, or where did you get it from? I couldn't find anything that big. Thanks for the compliments.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You could go the "full custom" route and have a tank made for you.

There isn't a ton of space to steal under there, but a couple of inches further back (until you hit the crossmember) and maybe a few more inches forward (until it's too close to the t-case output for comfort) might help....

Also, a 2" bodylift would create a large area above the current tank for you to steal for gas tank area. What about having a set of 2" solid spacers machined for the places where your cage bolts to the frame supports? (or is the cage welded directly to the frame?)

How many gallons to do want at a minimum for the new tank?

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

i'd move the tank back.

my tank for my 68 burb is going forward since it is a 40 gallon out of a 89 it has the filler neck on the wrong side so by sliding forward anf turning it around i can keep the filler neck in the same spot as stock. my lift allows for it to clear.

how bad is it hitting your dif? can you angle the top of the diff cover??

7. ecameron87

Minimum I would like 30gallons. 20 just doesn't seem like enough. I don't want to be the only one who has to stop for gas on the way to the trailhead. My cage is welded to the frame, so I would rather not go the body lift route. I think I have the same tank as Burt4x4's. I see that he tucked his up higher because of the body lift. I might be able to gain an inch if I cut off the tabs on the sides of the tank.

To keep it away from the differential, I could install a cover that doesn't stick out so far.

Any thoughts on side sadle tanks ILO rocker boxes?

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Mine is a NWMP 38 gal tank. Yup I cut off the original tank mounting tabs and re-welded them so the tank installed as high as I could get it (3" body lift). I also removed my rear crossmember (I have a hitch right there too so the crossmember was redundant at that point) so I could scoot it back too. Then I built a skid plate to protect it..glad I did cuz I have smaked it perrty hard from time to time :D

9. ecameron87

Yeah mine has a good size dent in it now too. I will probably just keep it where it is at and get a smaller diff cover. If I move it back without moving it up, I might hurt the departure angle. Another thought is to cut the bottom 1-2 inches off and have a new bottom put on. This would also get rid of the dent.

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cut the bottom of the tank? I think the inside of the tank has baffels errr slosh plates inthere and possiably spot welded to the bottom of the tank.....I don't remember exactly what is in there but I seam to recall the tank is not just a square hollow box....but I could be wrong too..just thinking out loaud:wink1:

11. ecameron87

Baffles!!! thats right. I forgot about that too. I would have to peek down the sending unit hole to see what is down there. This tank also leaks at one of the side brackets so I will have to get that taken care of as well.

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Cut the 2" or whatever out of the middle of the tank (called "sectioning" in hot rod terminology)..... it should preserve the baffles and allow you to deal with a leaky spot at the same time.

The challenge will be to find a shop willing to weld on a gas tank that's already had fluids in it......as you know, the fumes are FAR more explosive than the fuel in liquid form, so an empty gas tank is a horribly dangerous project. :eek1:

13. bigdon-70blazer

bigdon-70blazer Registered Member

I happened to look at your pictures posted and noticed in the garage in a pile was a rolled up green floor mat, looks like it was brand new. I am looking for a black one that fits the Blazer 1970, front portion and back. Any ideas?