Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas tank problem... modification

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I am still contemplating moving my gas tank from under the truck somewhere else. I cant shove it forward under the rear seat, there just isnt enough room. I cant afford a fuel cell, and besides there isnt that much room under my spare for a decent sized one. So... snoopin around, I found a behind the seat tank from an older style (57ish) Chev pickup. Just curious if anyone has any input on mounting this unit behind my rear seat. I just have to measure it for width... it may not go between the wheelwells. Does anyone know how many gallons they held?
    Thanks.
    Mike

2. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

why do you want the gas in the cab with you? want to burn up faster?

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Actually, Id prefer not to burn at all... but having the choice... Id rather burn faster than really slow...
    Whats the difference? Separated by thin sheet metal? Or separated by thin sheet metal. Hmm. How do the stats compare to back when the pickups had the tanks there from the factory? Did anyone burn faster? Were there more accidents? Id almost think that its safer in the center of the truck compared to underneath and exposed. At least its protected.

Any other opinions?
    Mike

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had one in my old 68 F100 pick-up. I never worried about it...any collision that ruptured the tank would likely kill me anyways. Hell CJ5's have em under the drivers seat...poor man's ejection seat i guess /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    I would cage around the tank if it fits between the wheel wells though and make sure it is well vented and doesn't leak. With a hard top on any fumes will quickly overcome you as you drive.

Why not remove a gas tank sized piece of floor and move the existing tank up about 6 or 8 inches and then rebuild the floor above it? If I was going to custom mount a tank I'd do that...

Rene

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I saw an old K5 (69-72) a few months ago that had two saddle tanks on it, mounted on each side of the truck, right under the seats, outside of the frame. I wouldn't do that and don't advocate doing that, but just throwing that idea out there.

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Actually Rene... About the gas tank sized piece of floor... I kinda have a gas tank sized Ramsey 8000 winch there now! /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif I was looking closer at the tank, and theres not a chance its gonna fit between the fenderwells. So back to the drawing board! Hehe

Mike

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I think the floors on K5's are too low for saddle tanks. The floors on Subs and PU's are raised where the seats bolt it and the tank kinda fits under the floor, at least on PU's.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There are aftermarket tanks out there that will mount in the saddle position on K5's. Aero Tanks sells a 45 gallon main tank and 18 gallon saddle tanks for each side. With that setup you could carry 76 gallons of fuel! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Hmm, that may be just what Greg72 needs, so he doesn't have to stop for gas every 100 miles. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif