Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas tank Qs

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MNorby, Feb 3, 2007.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Pull the blazer in to thaw out and get ready to install the fuel tank. I have a blazer tank from a later model blazer. I have always thought it was a 31 gal but I am 100% sure. Anyways If I give the filler neck 1/2" clearance I will only have 3" clearance from bottom of tank to the top of my rear end. I flexed it around some (see other thread) to see if it moved and it doesn't by flexing the rear end up but I know when I jump it it will probably hit. I could do bumpstops but just not sure if that would limit too much. Does anyone have the dims of the stock 21 gal, 25 and 31 gal tank from later years?

2. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had all new tank/pump/sending unit/screen and pig tail sitting in the shop ready to install when I did my TBI motor swap but after I held that monster under neath to check fit, I returned it all.

I'm not willing to lose that much clearance, I had already dented my stock tank enough so it was trying real hard to leak.

You could use a stock tank and install a in-tank pump or do a fuel cell.

I'm going the fuel cell route. :D
    Mounts in place of our factory tank.

Picture 020fuelcell.jpg

DSC00794fuelcell.jpg

3. MNorby

serious bling! I may try to dimple or section this tank I have but not sure yet. Might try to find a stock tank and see how it fits or a friend has a scout tank that is alot shallower

4. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I have dimensions for a custom 40 gallon tank if you want them. They could be shortened up some to add clearance without any real issues.

Let me know,
    Buddy

5. MNorby

I thought about building one, I have a bunch of 10 ga laying around. A friend has a scout 2 tank that is about the same dims as the later model 25 gal k5 tank except the filler comes off the size so I can get it higher up. Hopefully it can get picked up tody and brought down and I'll see how it might work

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

7. MNorby

cool. Ya I found a few ebay auctions too that listed the dims. I hope this scout tank works otherwise might have to find a stock gen 1 k5 tanks.

8. vtblazer

Officially ordered the fuel cell after talking with the guy and having one designed to be more conducive to wheeling. :D

It will only hang 2" below the frame rail with an 18 gallon capacity. :waytogo:

Our factory tanks hang 7.5" below the frame in case your wondering.

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Wow! that is a nice tight fit...check out how far my 37gal tank sits below the frame. And this is a modified installment, siting 2.5" higher than designed(took advantage of my bodylift and rased it up). You can also see the skid plate I made for it cuz I KNEW it would be draggin.
    [​IMG]

10. MNorby

That scout tank will go over the top of the axle and should only habg below frame an inch or 2. Thats with my 1.5" BL.

11. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

Burt,

I have that same tank but it started to leak at one of the welds so picked up a stock one from Igor. I liked the capacity but not the gas bill

12. MNorby

Do you still have / wanna sell?

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

My tank was made by NorthWest Metal Products..err something like that. I don't have any leaks. Before this tank I was running a poly tank but I could never get the sender to seal right so everytime I filled up the tank gas would leak out the top.
    Ya the bill to fill that 37gal is a bit spendy but I like that fact I only have to fill once and then I can wheel all weekend without getting gas :D

14. ecameron87

ecameron87 1/2 ton status

I have the northwest 37g tank as well and it leaks when it is over twenty gallons full. I do like the extra capacity for the same reason Burt stated. It is nice not having to carry extra gas cans when out in the sticks.

15. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Great, I just bought a poly tank from Brothers. :(
    Is this similar to yours? Any tips on getting a good seal?

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Brothers is were I got my tank too...
    my stock metal tank started leaking on the bottom due to rust so I got the poly tank and installed it. The O-ring that seals the sender did seal the tank for the first year then outa the blue on fill ups fuel would ooose out the top at the sender. I figured the O-ring needed replacement so I got a new one to install but I never did..I found out about NWMP 37gal tanks and decided to go with the extra capacity tank cuz I just removed my rear carrier that held two gerry cans that carried my extra fuel. The 37gal tank solved this issue.
    So don't get discuraged by my post, for all I know i pinched the O-ring or something like that causing it to fail early??? I do suggest ordering an extra O-ring just incase this issue occurs for you also..
    Hope this helps
    Burt

17. vtblazer

1st suggestion would be to lube the O ring during installation. :D

Be honest Burt...how often do you really hit your tank?

My stock one was pretty mashed by the one and only shot I took, can't imagine a tank riding that low. :eek1: (no offense intended)

18. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

I still have it. What do you want for it?

19. MNorby

I dunno what a used tank if worth or how to ship it. I have a good friend in Isiqua or however it is spelt near Seattle, how close is that to you?

20. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hehehe The tank = Never; The Skid = Several times :D have dents and scrapes to show the wounds :D but it is holding up nicely.