Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas tank question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, May 2, 2004.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Whats the capacity on a blazer? Isnt it 22 gallons?

Also are there any larger tanks out there? That fit good etc. Or would I have to get one custom made?

2. LucasJ03

LucasJ03 1/2 ton status

I put a 26 gal. with an electric fuel pump on my 72 out of an 89, the only problem you have to take out the back crossmember on your blazer and either make two new ones or get the two rear ones out of a second gen K5 because the straps go from front to back, not side to side.

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

yes.
    I have a northwest metal products 37 gallon tank. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    www.nwmp.com or something like that. I got a few pic's on my website of installing it.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I put in the same tank as Ryan did. I love the extra range I get on the Hwy.
    Good Luck

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I put in a tank form an 84. I too had to take out the rear xmember.

ARQ

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Steve and Ryan,
    About how much did it cost? If you dont mind me asking.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmm, I can't remember the total but it was at least 400 bucks! Not cheep but I do love it!
    Here is a pic. The glossy black is my homemade skidplate, look closly at the flat black you can see the tab that hits the frame and the mounting straps that use the stock holes. I too had to remove the rear crossmember but my hitch is right there too so didn't really matter for me. I also relocated the mounting tabs that touch the frame so the tank would mount up as high as I could get it(I have a 3"body lift). When I cut of and welded my own mounting tab I also voided the warrenty..oh well /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I have heard stories that if you buy one pay for the extra pakaging for shipping. Other wise they just stick a sticker on the tank and send it. By the time UPS gets done with it it will be all scratched to hell. I didn't really care cuz I own alot of spray paint!hahahaha
    [​IMG]
    Oh the tank comes with a sending unit & mounting straps(I had to shorten mine cuz I raised the tank).
    Hope this helps
    Burt