Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas Tank Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 55Willy, Sep 13, 2001.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Does anyone see anything wrong with undercoating a tank? I was gonna undercoat mine so it doesn't squeek, but was thinking that Could in doing so would it trap moisture between the coating and the tank and be promoting early rust?

<font color=red>It's not what you drive, but what drives you</font color=red>( Or is it what you work on,lol)
    <font color=orange> 1955 willy's on a 1977 blazer chassis </font color=orange>

2. JimboK5

JimboK5 Registered Member

It would be the same as undercoating the rest of the vehicle I would think. If it doesn't affect the rest of the metal it shouldn't affect your tank.

I'd just make sure it was clean and dry before doing it.

3. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

I undercoated mine about a year ago just after I bought it as well as the rest of the under side and haven't had any kind of problems with it since I did this.

Thanks, (in advance)
    Hawglet
    hawglet@excite.com

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well it'll make it look spiffy but not offer a whole lot of help. The problem with tanks is that they get condensation on the inside which causes them to get rusty and leak. I just painted mine up primer gray and threw it back in there with new straps and under coated my skid plate. When the tanks all black it makes it harder to spot leaks when opossed to a lighter colored tank. They make kits to stop that squeak, I think LMC has them. If you do undercoat it be sure to use the kind you put on with a rocker shutz gun and compressed air, it goes on heavier and has a tougher consistentcy. I think Transtar makes the kind I used. I don't know if the average Joe of the street can get it or not because its only supposed sold to body shops and such.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

check out <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gas-tank.com>www.gas-tank.com</a> it's some kind of sealer.
    i did my 72 tank with it and it is tough.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

6. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

I've been successfully using 15# roofing felt, and have no squeaks whatsoever. I put sections over the top part of the tank at the front and back and strips under each tank strap.

Works great.

John