Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas Tank Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CrazeeBush, Sep 14, 2001.

1. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Well, I decided to drop the gas tank, the durn thing has some rust buildup, and the sending unit needs replacing. Well, take off the bumper,skid plate and unbolt the straps. Anyone else who'd \s done this think they put the gas tank on before they put the body on? It was next to impossible to get this thing out for all the hoses. Anyway, my question is, how do you get the sending unit out of the gas tank. I took a quick look at it, and didn't see how it would come out. Any help is appreciated.

-BuSH
    '83 K5 Blazer
    '98 Monte Carlo z34

2. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Use a screw driver and a hammer, the sending unit top piece will kind of rotate. Rortate it until the teeth on it line up with the gaps. Then life it out. Kind of hard to explain. I think haynes has pics.

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

3. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Use a screw driver and a hammer, the sending unit top piece will kind of rotate. Rortate it until the teeth on it line up with the gaps. Then lift it out. Kind of hard to explain. I think haynes has pics.

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

4. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Yup he is right. There is a metal ring with 3 tabs i believe. Take a screwdriver and hit them so they rotate until they reach the whole they come out of. You probably will have to use more than one of them because the whole ring can move a little in all directions. Make sure you clean it really well before you do this because once you starting pull up on the sending unit all the dirt and debris will fall in if your not careful. Also, you have to turn the sending unit at different angles to get the fuel pump (if TBI), the float for the gas gauge, the return line, and vent line. Make sure you do this carefully so you don't bend or break it. They are damn expensive if you do. Oh well good luck. - Doug

Doug Krebs