Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas tank question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89Jimmy, Feb 18, 2003.

1. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    I've got a gas tank question. Does anyone know if the sender port in an '85 31 gallon Blazer tank is the same size as the hole in an '89 31 gallon tank? I'd rather not have everything torn down before discovering that they won't fit. Bottom line, I'd like to use an '85 sender in a '89 tank. Thanks.
    John

2. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yep, the hole in the top of the tank is the same size 73-91, 25 or 31 gallon, the sending units all use the same size mounting hole. Your 85 sender will mount to the tank just fine, but you may run into a problem with the internal baffle in the 89 tank /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. The pickup tube with the sock filter on the end as well as the sending float may interfear with the plastic baffle. Dont worry though its nothing a little "bend and test" cant fix. Go for it, just make sure the float is unobstructed. You can test the unit with an ohm meter once installed to verify an empty tank reading (0 ohms or 75? ohms, I cant remember which) It would suck to get it all mounted up, filled with gas and find out you gage is inaccurate, ie: wont got down to zero /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.

James

3. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

Is this going into a FI or non FI truck? I dont believe the 85 sending init will work on an FI truck but I could be wrong.

4. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I forgot to add that the 85 sendin unit has no provision for an in tank fuel pump where as the 89 does. Also doable with a little cut and splice.

James

5. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Carbed truck. Thanks for the info.
    John