Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas Tank Removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazin'Grrl, May 28, 2000.

1. Blazin'Grrl

Blazin'Grrl Registered Member

Guess what!?!?!? The fuel pump in my Buick went out! Hahaha. Talk about a lemon. Anyway, instructions to take off a fuel tank anyone? Can't find anything out there to ask about Buicks. It just HAS to have a fuel pump in the f**&*^& tank! Help please.

<font color=purple>Sarah</font color=purple>
    <font color=purple>[​IMG]'83 K-5 Silverado Blazer[​IMG]</font color=purple>

2. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Talk about bad luck huh. Well hopefully you were almost out of gas (although its safer to have a full tank, the vapors is what makes it dangerous not the gas), I doubt if you can siphon out b/c they fixed that in most cars after the gas crisis. but it's easy. If you still have alot left in the tank you may need a partner. lift the rear, disconnect the - battery terminal and please have a fire extinguisher close (for safety you never know what may happen!) drop the tank most cars hold it in with straps. the filler tube will have to be disconnected too. A floor jack can make dropping it easy b/c liquid in the tank makes it hard to handle... there should be a ring holding the fuel pump/ sending unit in and most of the time you can use a good size flat head screw driver and a hammer. put a rag on the end of the screw driver and there is a ring you have to tap counter clock wise then the whole assembly should come out. You can get a special tool from the dealer to take this ring off but I alway use a screwdriver but I'm careful. I'm no Dicaprio but I don't want to be Mr. Scarface either. then just put it back the way you took it out. not a hard job just give yourself a couple of hours and don't do it by yourself.....

Blood, sweat, tears, and lots of money is what keeps my K5 alive.