Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas Tank Replacement **Updated Confused**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by burban89, Dec 4, 2006.

1. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

My 89 Suburban sprung a leak.:doah: How much trouble is it going to be to replace? All I have is hand tools no air. I have to do it outside no shop access. And the cold weather is here. I would rather do it myself to save some cash. The shop wants 350.00 to replace it. I can get a new tank for 125.00. Is it worth the hassle to freeze outside and do it myself?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Sure. PITA to drop -- drive it 'till it's empty first -- but it's doable. Figure on a pile of new hose clamps and maybe replace any of the filler hoses that are rotted, and easier if you have a way to lift/drop the tank (use a buddy, or one of these...)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2792

-- A

3. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Registered Member

Spend an extra couple bucks for new straps. Every time I had mine out, at least one broke. Pick up a cheap bicycle inner tube to make some anti-squeek strips. One tube will do both straps. The less fuel the better. Hardest part is undoing and redoing all the lines, as you have to drop tank first. Probably only take about an hour, or so. I've done this with a screwdriver to unhook lines,and a few appropriate wrenches. Also remove the panel the license plate mounts to. This will allow easy access to the rear strap nuts. Hope this helps. Good luck.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

might wanna..

While your under the truck,its a good idea too replace ALL the rubber fuel lines---I've seen a LOT of car fires recently around here,and the new 10% ethanol fuel is getting the blame--it's eating old hoses, and making them mushy and leak..there has been an epidemic here in boats with fiberglass gas tanks,and small engines are not dealing well with this new fuel either!..

If you have TBI and an electric in-tank pump,you might consider replacing it while your there..I've had more than one croak shortly after dropping a gas tank for whatever reason..it sucks doing it TWICE,especially with no warm garage to do it in...:doah: :crazy:

5. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

Now Im confused. Lastnight the truck hardly leaked any. And all day today it hasent leaked at all. So now what? Do I drop the tank and replace it anyhow. Or should I just keep an eye on it and see if it startes to leak again?

6. krechj

krechj Registered Member

is it possible the fuel just leaked to the point of being below the hole its leaking from? i've dropped mine, except i was dumb and it was almost completely full haha it wasnt to bad though... the only part that sucked was connecting all the hoses again when your trying to put it back in becuase there wasnt much slack in them so the tank has to be almost to the top and u really gotta squeze you arm in there to fit em back on

7. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Did you check the filler or vent hoses??

8. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

My filler hose ain't in the best shape, so it leaks when I'm filling, or absolutely topped up, but 5 minutes of driving and it stops leaking.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Dropping the tank isn't really hard, just very awkward, just the two straps and the hoses for the fill neck. I would reccomend while you have the tank removed, or replacing, to go ahead and replace the fuel pump as well, it's another $40 or so, but it's insurance to not have to do it again for some time.

If you can, have a friend help you with the dropping of the tank, because it won't just reach the ground,,,it will want to fall, but don't let it, the fuel, vent and filler lines are not that long.

Don't forget about the power wires going to the top of the tank too, dissconnect from the clip up near the frame.

10. lurtch-k20-(78-90)

lurtch-k20-(78-90) Registered Member

to buy some time until you can fixit or until it warms up, what ever, you can use a bar of hand soap and rub over the hole if you can find it. I do agree of installing a new fuel pump and suction filter, if memry serves correct the fuel lines are "high pressure ~ 52-60 psi" are hard crimped fittings to lines that screw into the line fittings. gasoline weighs ~7lbs/gal check at autozone o'reillys (your favorite parts house) for an electric fuel pump and a small dia. hose 1/8" to suck all of the fuel out, or take the pressure line off the back side of the trottle body slip a hose over and drain into bucket. If you can't get the atv lift (I have one, and it is very very useful, kinda like the pocket on my shirt. hope this helps

11. Goss

Goss Registered Member

Alot of good advice so far,..so I'll be the voice of safety.*clears throat and assumes a presumpteous stance.wagging finger*
    "Don't forgetcher safety glasses now,all that bumpin' around under that grubby old wagon is gonna shake loos a hella-buncha crap and a good deal of it right on yer head."
    It's $80 a pop to have rust flakes sucked outta your eye with a magnet at the optomotrist's office.Plus the drive over is a menace to other traffic.