Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gas tank selector valve ?s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big dan, Apr 15, 2007.

1. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

my truck came with two tanks and I know that the selector valve is not functioning. is it possible that a non-functioning selector valve could allow gas to flow into the other tank while the pump is working?

I ask this cause my truck is getting about 1/2 mile to the gallon and I know that there is no way a stock 350 in a stock truck will burn this much gas and if the carb was feeding it this much it would foul the plugs. Ive searched and cant find any leaks but I ran out of gas after dumping in 2 gallons and driving about a mile up the road.

my second question involves bypassing the selector valve. I know it will work if I run a single tank but I like having the capacity of two. would everything still work right if I ran the lines from both tanks into a Y fitting and then to the pump? It would be similar to having one big tank but Im wondering if the pump would still pump the gas correctly and would it still work if one tank ran out while the other still had fuel? thanks.

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine hung up once and I just bypassed the selector switch.

3. big dan

did you hook up both tanks or just one when you bypassed?

I bypassed the selector on a dual tank truck once but only used one tank.

and I talked to my dad about the problem and he said that it is possible and likely for the gas to be pumping into the other tank. anybody here agree with that?

4. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

If you had dual electric pumps in the tanks I would agree with that. But if you have a block mounted fuel pump, I don't see anyway for it to be pumped from one tank to the other. It is possible, however, for a block mounted pump to be pumping gas into your crankcase.

5. big dan

I have a block mounted pump. I dont really know much about the selectors but what I was think was that maybe the selector got stuck and was allowing fuel to run into the other tank. but I understand what your saying.

Ive heard of the block mounted pumps pumping gas into the crankcase but havent checked to see. I replaced the pump today and will check out the oil tomorrow to see if its got gas in it. thanks.