Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas Tank Sending Unit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by drofdar, Jul 3, 2005.

1. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

I decided to go with a custom gas tank for my 80 Silverado. Had to get rid of the saddle tanks. Since I decided to go with an external pump, anybody know of a good aftermarket sending unit? And I don't recall the ohm rating of the Chevy guages?

2. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Sending unit

The company that made the tank you're using should be able to recommend a sending unit as well to go with it.

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Most aftermarket tanks are designed use the stock sending unit. I know the aftermarket fuel tank I want to buy for my Chevy pick-up truck (with the exploding saddle tanks) uses the factory sending unit.

4. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

After Market Tank

I was going to have one fabricated locally. What manufacturer did you have in mind? I'm want at least 30 gallons so I don't lose the range. The factory sending units will be too shallow to work with a deep, behind the axle tank. Since I'm going fuel injected, I am opting to use an external pump in case I have to do a field change. So I need a return line fitting. I just want to eliminate the dual bomb settup!

5. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Sending Unit

The only modification you would have to make to a stock unit would be to install a return line fitting for the fuel injection, and probably a longer float arm to compensate for the increased depth of the tank. Most companies that I've seen that make custom tanks usually can hook you up with a sending unit to go with it. So it may just be a case of you buying a stock replacement, and having them modify it.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

0 to 90 is GM range

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am going to get a fuel tank from these people http://www.aerotanks.com/. They supply the sending units, filler necks, intank fuel pumps (if needed), and every thing for their tanks. The tank shown is a 45 gallon tank that bolts into the bed of the truck, directly behind the cab.

[​IMG]