Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas tank sight guage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

My in tank sender is not cooperating. Ive ran out of gas twice now since the body swap and its getting frustrating.
    I want to drill a hole in the tank down low, install a brass elbow pointing up, clamp on a piece of clear hose, and another elbow drilled into the tank near the top. Then the fuel will fill the hose making an easy ref for fuel level. Now, without putting a nut on the inside of the tank, what would be the best way to install and seal some sort of deal like that? Is there some sort of RTV or silicon that seals against fuel? Or would some gas tank repair sealant work?
    Thanks
    Mike

2. airbornesoldier327

airbornesoldier327 1/2 ton status

You could just drop the tank and trouble shoot it, mine was doing the same thing untill i dropped my tank, took all of about 2-3 hours to drop it and put it back up there, of course i dont have the tank shield either though. My float was stuck so i just moved it around a bit, and it works fine now.

3. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

remembered a big discussion a while back
    clicky

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

comon thing is ground. i have found that 1 small hose clamp and length of wire with 1 srew eye to frame and flat spade to other end then clamped to the sender line works great.

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ive been thru the wiring thing, and the sender is toast. Dropping the tank isnt an option... its kinda built into the truck now. :)
    So, the sighte guage thing is the best bet. Thanks for the link to that thread... thats the one I searched for but couldnt find it.
    Later
    Mike

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

what size tank? i have a 27gal sender from a deisel.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Cut an access panel from the top like the EFI guys do so that they can easily service/replace fuel pumps on the trail...

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Maybe..

I've used a brass truck tire valve stem(the kind that uses a nut and threads to hold it into a rim) as a "petcock" or "bung" ito convert a gas can to a gas tank on lawn tractors,so you can hook a hose to it..they have neoprene bushings to seal them airtight(or gas tight!)..I take the valve core out of course!--its a bit tricky to install in the tank though--I do it from the gas cap side using a peice of stiff wire thru the hole I drilled in the tank to slide the valve stem on,and it giudes the valve stem into place..(maybe you can go thru the filler neck opening after removing the filler neck hose!--)..that would give you a place to hook the sight gauge up to,that wont leak... :thinking:

if you cant get to the sender unit hole or get it in by the filler neck opening,,then your going to have to use something like epoxy--and I wouldn't put much faith in that lasting very long!..Even J-B Weld isnt that durable under constant soaking in gas..maybe a flange brazed to a tube,with a few sheet metal screws and J-B weld,or a rubber gasket between the flange and tank??..might work...

Might be easier to fix the sending unit!--or use a gas can thats transparant enough to see the fuel level thru it,as a gas tank instead..I use cheap plastic gas cans as tanks on lawn tractors and buggies for several reasons--A.Cheap!--B.No gas gauge needed! C. No rust problems anymore!..D.Its easy to see if water is in the fuel!....E.holds a LOT more gas! :D

9. towdriver80

towdriver80 Registered Member

A plumbing supply store will sell a "bulkhead" fitting. you drill a hole insert the fitting and screw the back on from the inside. Has a flange and gasket on each side to make it liquid tight. But if you have to drop the tank to do it, you`d be better off fixing the sending unit.