Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas tank skid plate

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WhiteBurb, Jul 25, 2005.

1. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I was looking at the original sales brochure for the 89 Suburban, and one of the options is fuel tank stone shield plate. Mine doesn't have it. Is it something worth looking for in a junkyard or is it just thin sheet metal or plastic?
    The gas tank is so far to the back of the truck, the only thing protecting it at all is the hitch.
    Thanks,

Charlie

2. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

There is a fairly heavy steel plate protecting the tank on my 91 Jimmy
    It seems to help lots off road , I would not remove mine because I think the tank would get damaged or worse without it
    I have had the truck drop hard on it a few times with no damage :whistle:

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

They're fairly beefy for a factory plate. The ones from the 70's actually wrap around the sides of the tank and have mud/water drains. The later models just cover the bottom of the tank. Check for clearance with your hitch though before you buy one.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't think they'll save your tank if you drop the truck on a rock right in the center, but it will certainly save the tank from debris thrown up by the tires, such as logs, etc.

Last year out hunting I ran over a large branch that had fallen, and cringed as I heard it hit the tank. Luckily it just slapped the tank, and didn't hurt it. I just recently put the plate back on. :)

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

A what for your gas tank? :haha: A bar of soap is your friend :thumb:

[​IMG]

It actualy got worse the next day :D

6. msb350

msb350 Registered Member

Its a heavy piece. I just removed mine and had the straps re-welded. Was fun getting it back on. Worth having though.

7. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yeah ive got one on my 79...i agree pretty functional for a factory part.

8. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks everybody. I'm going to keep my eyes open for one at the junkyards.

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

1 thing to keep in mind, especially if you use the 31 gal gas tank, there is a gap between the tank and the skidplate (about 1/2" with the 31 gal tank) where mud and debris can get packed. Be sure to clean this area out. The PO of my '86 K5 didn't and the bottom of the gas tank rotted causing a small fuel leak leading to a fire while welding on an exhaust. Luckily the fire didn't hurt anything but the crap between the skidplate and the tank soaked up the leaking fuel so there was never a puddle under the vehicle or a strong smell of gasoline but the bottom of the tank was destroyed and the tank had to be replaced.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I drilled holes directly under the tank on mine, as when I pulled the original '81 tank, the bottom of it was fairly rusty, at least for what it should have been.

There wasn't a whole lot of junk under mine, but IIRC, my old tank was much closer in proximity to the skidplate than my new one. I've got a good gap now, but I painted the bottom of the tank while I had it out for good measure. :)

11. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

They're good to have, if you score one for free, or cheap. But, In my opinion, I would use it as a pattern to make a better/thicker one. I dented the one in my old K5, and as well as the one on my current K5. My old one was not too bad, but the dent on the 89 was enough to put a slight pucker in the tank. They are not *that* strong. I plan to use mine as a pattern for a better one. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

12. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

ive been considering just renforcing mine on the topside and the suppots with some, 3/8ths thick and 2 1/4" wide, flat bar that i use in welding class. it seems like that would be sufficient for my use.

13. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

with the way the stock skid attaches I think it would be very easy to just reenforce the stock one