Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas Tank Straps - what size? Measurements?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaughner, Nov 3, 2002.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK, I have an 87 blazer with the fuel tank skid plate and the straps are broken and the tank is setting the skid plate. It also has a return fuel line leak. SO, I'm going to drop the tank and try fixing the return line and I want to do the new straps when I have the tank down, but LMC lists a 25 and a 31 gallon tank for that year. Any idea on lengths by measuring or do the skid plates only come on the 25 gal tanks or can you get them on both. My other 87 blazer has a 31gal tank and no skid plate. Any one know the measurements of the straps or the tank for the 31/25 sizes?

[​IMG]

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Sorry I can't give you any Measurements. But I have a 83 with a skid plate and I have a 31 gal. It also seems that you just got this K5 or you would have a idea on how much fuel it holds.
    The best I can do for you is say go ahead a order the 31gal straps also look in the glove box to see if it say anything. Then again maybe someone else has the info you need.

Eric

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

From what I understand, They only used one type of skid plate for both sizes of gas tanks. The plate would be right under the larger gas tank, and there would be a gap between the plate and the smaller gas tank. So as far as I can tell from the pic, It looks like you have the larger gas tank. Hope this helps.

4. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Same thing here,
    88 blazer with skid plate and 31 gallon tank, just replaced mine and they were 39" long. The wrong ones I ordered for it first were about 34 or 36", can't remember exactly.
    That measurment is from one end of the strap to the other, it does not include the threaded part at the ends.
    Hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i had to replace mine because they were almost ripped in half, auto zone has them for $40 and they work great. they are thicker than factory and have bolts on both sides so your not just hooking them in the frount they bolt in.

6. jjlaughner

YEP! This one is a new one. Haven't filled it up yet, needs a little work first. I crawled around under the truck for an hour after I got it to take pics and clean, check on stuff. It looks to me like the tank is setting flat on the skid plate which makes me think the straps are broke. As far as filling the tank I haven't yet since it had a return line leak I decided not to so I could drop the tank easier. My other 87 blazer has the 31 gal tank, when I go back out today I will measure both of them (if it stops raining). I just wanted to get some feedback on what others had found out. Thanks for the reply! Jeremiah

7. jjlaughner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    They only used one type of skid plate for both sizes of gas tanks

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah I thought there was only one size skid plate, as far as the gap I can't tell because the tank is setting flat in the skid plate. Most likely the reason for the fuel leak! Thanks, Jeremiah

8. jjlaughner

Good deal, I'll call autoZERO and see if they have them in stock, if not I may order both sets from LMC (19.95 each set). Thanks, Jeremiah (did you get a price for shipping on the air dam, windows, and angled blocks?) If you cant find a box for the air dam I'll just take the glass, I think you said 25$'s shipped? Thanks again, Jeremiah

9. jjlaughner

Good deal, I kind of figured the lenghts were different but wasn't sure. I will have to drop the skid plate and the tank before I can measure it though. The tank is setting in the skid plate, which is the likely problem of the fuel leak. Thanks for the post, Jeremiah

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well if I read your post right, you have your own answer.
    You have a 31 galon on your other blazer.
    The difference was just with the depth of the tank so if it's thinner than your other tank it's the 25 if it's the same then what do you think?

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've seen military blazers with 25 gallon tanks and the 31 gallon skid plate, so not sure whether or not the tank or skidplate were both original, or changed, but there was an obvious difference due to the gap between the fuel tank and the skid plate.

You've got your answer of course already, but it seems the 25 gallon tanks are pretty "rare". (rare meaning undesirable in this case lol)