Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas tank suggestions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sledge, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Sledge

Sledge Registered Member

Recently finished a tub swap and now have a dilema. My old gas tank was an aftermarket one (of unknown origin) which mounted using long bolts down through the bed. After spending so much time & money on getting good sheet metal, I'm not thrilled about drilling out the "new" bed floor. It's a decent tank, ~40 gallons and I don't really want to toss it.

How are the strap-mounted tanks secured? Do they have a recess in the tank to locate the straps? Just wondering if I could fashion some straps for my existing tank.

Also I'm going to be doing a TPI swap, so was thinking if I do go the new tank route it'd make sense to get one with in-tank pump support. Anyone know of a place which makes 'em for Blazers?

Thanks.

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

If you have to chunk it check Colemans Surplus on the web. Its a military surplus that sales blazer gas and diesel tanks for 25 dollars. if nothing else it could work as a cheap alternative. My tank is aftermarket so my straps arent stock so I cant help you there. Mine are bolted on both sides to the frame.

hope it helps

Nathan

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

My 40 gallon tank merely sits on top of the straps. The thing is located fore and aft by a cutout that fits around the last crossmember in the frame.

4. Sledge

Sledge Registered Member

Thanks Steve, so no recesses in the tank for the straps. I'm having a hard time visualizing the fore/aft supports, could you please elaborate?

5. Steve_Chin

Not really separate supports. It's just a cutout in the top of the tank and a kick-out at the bottom. I'd venture a guess that the tank is held in place more by friction than anything.

6. Sledge

Sledge Registered Member

Thanks again Steve. My tank as the kickout at the bottom rear, so it should snug up against the crossmember fine.

BTW you're doing a 2-pump seperate reservior setup for your TPI setup, right?

7. Steve_Chin

Yup. I figure that it'll be easier than building a sump in my existing tank and it'll also offer better fuel supply when the truck is pitched at angles or during acceleration or cornering.

8. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

My Aero has reinforeced gussets welded on both sides. I mounted it using two 1/2" bolts per side into existing frame holes.