Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas Tank Swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skink4president, Aug 6, 2006.

1. skink4president

skink4president Registered Member

I need to replace the tank on my '73 K5 (350/350/203). Currently, I've got a 25 gallon but I'm considering going to the 31 gallon tank. I realize this will require not only a new tank but also a new sending unit and straps. Is there anything else I'm overlooking? Has anyone done this? Is it a straight-up swap? Thanks!

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Nope. New sending unit, with appropriate number of connections and new straps. Also figure on a pile of hose clamps :D

If you have a factory skid plate, it should be the same for both tanks -- there's a biiig space under the 25 gallon to the plate -- so it's just a lot of PB Blaster / WD40 / whatever, and time.

It is a straight swap. I've dropped the one on my '74 more times than I wanna think, and swapped the 24 in my CUCV for a 31 ... that was slightly uglier as CUCV's have weird plumbing, but yours should be drop-in.

Be sure to empty the tank as much as you can first, and consider one of these or similar:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2792

-- A

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Get the gas out first. I simple siphon pump or tube works if you have the patience or a large container. Even if you have to borrow gas cans from all of your friends and fill you mower, chainsaw, car, etc.

I don't know if an 85 is the same, but I have a good 31-gallon tank and sending unit sitting in my garage. I'm not sure if any of that is shippable or if used gasoline containers are illegal.