Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas Tank Switch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by backlash, Oct 28, 2000.

1. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

When I ordered my truck, it only showed a 22 (I think) gal tank no optional larger tank. Now I see that the 88 came with either the 22 or 31 gal. tank.

Is it possible to put a larger tank in, what kind of work would be involved, how much would the upgrade cost?

Thanks,

Bob

2. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Thought I'd bring it up again.

Seems to me all you'd have to do is change straps, sending unit and tank.

Any ideas?

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

So you want to get a bigger tank??? I may be able sell ya one as I am planning on pulling mine and bilding a smaller one in the near future.

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

4. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

The 31 gal. tanks are a dime a dozen. You can use suburban tanks in you`r k5 too. If you go with a Suburban tank you can even find 40 gal. tanks that were in many 3/4 tons and rigs with the big block. Just remember that the tanks hang down and reduce you`r departure angle. Personaly I`d perfer the 22 gal. for wheeling reasons, but I did cut, and reweld a steeper rear angle into my 30 gal. Now it holds 27 gal. and still has the departure angle that you need for rock crawling.
    Sell or trade you`r tank to someone who wants the small tank. Maybe Dblazer would want to trade you tanks.

5. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Thanks Guys,

Bet when I ordered this thing I bipassed the standard tank for the 22. Kept askin the lady if she was sure about that. Driving to Alaska may make the change out worth it.

Tranny and motor first!

Thanks again!

6. Bryant

Bryant Registered Member

I just installed a 31 in my 89. There EASY to find. You can get one out of LMC like I did or you can get one from JC Whitney. This sucks because I just found a place in Iowa that has the pvc tanks for a beter price than the stock ones.

Bryant

7. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

What would be the advantage of PVC over metal?

I guess the sending unit would not work for the larger ... could it be used as a backup? Provided you could get the tank down!

8. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

remember 87 newer TBI tanks are different and you have to extend the pump lower in the tank also the gauge wont be right it will show empty early,also get the brackets for the gaurd

9. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Didn't think about the gauge and not sure about the guard thing. Guess I need to get up under there tomorrow.

Thanks.

10. Bryant

Bryant Registered Member

I like the pvc tank because it won't rust. I live in the great salt belt. My last tank rusted through. I don't offroad so I'm not worried about abuse on the tank. My stock tank is a 31 gal. tank.

Bryant