Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas tank Tech. Breather vent question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tuff84blaze, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Tuff84blaze

Tuff84blaze 1/2 ton status

May 12, 2000
    For the last couple of weeks i have not been able to fill the tank up in my Blazer more than about 2 gallons at a time and than it takes forever to fill up and overflows because I suspect that the breather tube is getting blocked some how. Has anybody else had this happen and is there a way for me to fix it without haveing to drop the tank?
    Thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    You can disconnect the "fill breather" hose from under the truck.

Just look under the truck where the fuel fill is, and you'll see the main line, with the small fill breather next to it. I'd pull that hose off and put some pressure to it (with the cap off the tank) and see if it breathes easily.

I kind of think it's something else unless an animal has built a nest in there, the fill breather is pretty large. And the evap hose is too small to even play into the equation IMO.
  3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003
    If you find out why let me know--my 81 van has had the same problem since about 1997 or so--my filler neck hose and vent tube pipe and hose looked ok then(rusted pretty bad now)but I can never fill it quickly ever since then,I think its the nozzles on the gas pumps that are the cause--ever since they started usung the "oxogenated" gasoline in MA the pump nozzles are equipped with a vapor recovery boot and the automatic shut-off has a "hair trigger"to it,and shuts off every time one drop splashes back--it makes it a ten minite chore to fill it--so I've been putting only 5 or 10 bucks at a time in when I use it--at two bucks a gallon,I dont have to wait as long as I used too.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif