Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gas tank treatment

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheBlazerKid, Aug 13, 2000.

1. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

Well heres the story my blazer sat for about the last 2-3 years and here about 2 months ago we decided to get an engine and get her going again, so we've been doing things here and there and I decided to check the gas tank for rust (since its been sitting) and come to find out there is rust and junk on the inside, so my question is does anyone know of a tank treatment or something to get rid of it? sorry to make it so long but didnt know how to explain otherwise.

Your right I dont understand the jeep thing!?

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

If your tank is not rusted through a radiator shop can clean and pressure check it for pin holes. POR-15 makes an gas tank sealer and also have a gas tank restoration kit. There are distributors on the internet, just do a search for por15. You might find one in your area or order through the internet. Never used it but very pleased with there other products.

3. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

no its far from rusted through, its and aftermarket 35 gallon one my dad put on it in the 70's its made of pretty thick plate steel. just surface rust on the inside im pretty sure

Your right I dont understand the jeep thing!?

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

5. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    The "POR15" the other guys recommend is probably Better and Safer!
    but if you are looking for a cheap fix you can use "Muratic acid", it cost a couple dollars a gallon and you can buy it at the grocery store in the pool chemicals. Dump 1/2 a gallon or so in the tank and roll it around it for a few minutes, it will eat the rust (Sometimes the rust turns green while it is being desolved) watch out for the fumes they can be pretty nasty, dump it out somewhere save! (this is ACID![​IMG]) repeat this until the rust is all gone, then use a garden hose to rinse the tank Real good with water, then put some gas in the tank and roll it around and then dump it out, do this a few times to remove any water or rust residue from the tank. re-install the tank and fill it full of gas. This will remove the rust and it only cost a few bucks.